Anybody work at george senior & son ponds forge sheaf street sheffield ?

Hi does is there anyone out there who used to work at George Senior & Sons Ponds Forge Sheaf Street Sheffield. I worked in the electricians shop with Bill Frith, Bruce Haslam, Roger Kaye & Ernest Melbourne we had a workshop above the fitters in a corner of a yard at the side of the blacksmiths who was Harry Hoole and his 2 lads John Clough & Brian something, the chief engineer at the time was Lionel Lilly who always wore a trilby hat and drove a A40 van which he lost regularly. I also remember Jack & Mary Booth, Jack was a lorry driver and moved up to be Denis Seniors driver and Jack's wife Mary worked in the canteen and her jam rolly polly's are remembered to this day, my wife who is a good cook doesn't come anywhwere near to the quality of Mary's, who always seemed to give me just that extra bit, I can taste it now.

I worked at George Seniors was Harry Hooles striker 1964/5 I think the timmings right.

Do you know who owned or ran George Seniors when you worked there?

Hi does is there anyone out there who used to work at George Senior & Sons Ponds Forge Sheaf Street Sheffield. I worked in the electricians shop with Bill Frith, Bruce Haslam, Roger Kaye & Ernest Melbourne we had a workshop above the fitters in a corner of a yard at the side of the blacksmiths who was Harry Hoole and his 2 lads John Clough & Brian something, the chief engineer at the time was Lionel Lilly who always wore a trilby hat and drove a A40 van which he lost regularly. I also remember Jack & Mary Booth, Jack was a lorry driver and moved up to be Denis Seniors driver and Jack's wife Mary worked in the canteen and her jam rolly polly's are remembered to this day, my wife who is a good cook doesn't come anywhwere near to the quality of Mary's, who always seemed to give me just that extra bit, I can taste it now.

my grandfarther fred beetenson worked there for years as did his son wilf who was my uncle. wilf . worked there before the war . he then entered the navy ,where he spent over twelve years, he was on the russian/atlantic convoys. upon returning to civvy st, he went back to seniors until he retired sadly they have both passed away now . R.I.P. EIGHTLEGGER.

To answer one question Denis Senior was the owner of the company and he had a manager whose name was Stubbs I think, Denis lived up Fulwood and Bill Frith and I went up there in the middle of winter to install same lights down the driveway, at the time I think it was warmer in the middle of Russia. Around 1965 ish I had left and was in the forces I left Seniors in 1962. Bill, Bruce and I had a lot to do with the wiring of the compressor house at the time a step forward in the right direction getting rid of the steam and boilers and converting them to compressed air, smokeless zones were on there way in at that time.

Hi,

My grandfather Stephen Comer worked there from 1911 to 1961, fifty years service and he died before he would have retired.

It would be great to hear from anyone who knew him. I think he was the cop or foreman on a steam hammer - but I might be wrong.

Steve

My Father Doug Armin used to be a truck driver for many years at Seniors, worked with 2 other drivers called Dennis and George.

Used to pick me up from Sharrow lane School in his big blue Commer Lorry.

He got made redundent about 1967-68.

my wifes fathers family all worked at seniors not sure exactly on years but definately in fifties grandfather great uncles uncles brothers all worked there at some point and her grandfather was there til he retired their family name was cosford

I remember Jack & Arthur Cosford both worked in the melting shop at Effingham Road, Jack was the firey one, Arthur & I used to have a bet on the result of Sheffield Wednesday's games, it was the season when they finished second in the first division and poor Arthur used to hide from me towards the end of the season but always paid up, when you got to know them they were really good fun but wouldn't have any fooling about when they were teeming, but both were happy to stick a 'tail' on you when things were slack.

Hi Jacko. Long time since I wrote in here. Just found an old picture of George Seniors during being demolished. I worked as a blacksmith striker in the lean-to building. Dont know how to put a picture in here. If you are interested I could send it to your email.

Hi Jacko. Long time since I wrote in here. Just found an old picture of George Seniors during being demolished. I worked as a blacksmith striker in the lean-to building. Dont know how to put a picture in here. If you are interested I could send it to your email.

Hi blackhill,

Here's a link to Picture Sheffield. There are several photos of George Seniors at Pond Street including a 1988 view of the cleared site where I used to park my car by entering through the arched gateway when working at the Housing Office on Pond Hill in 1977.

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?searchterms=george+senior&action=search&keywords=all%3BCONTAINS%3B%25george%25%3BAND%3Ball%3BCONTAINS%3B%25senior%25%3B

Peter.

Edited by PeterR