19 London

20 Sheffield

21 Plymouth

22 Oxford

23 Cambridge

24 Southampton

25 Edinburgh

20th out of 25? No it isn't.

Would be interested to know how they calculated this. Could believe it if based on the cost of the swanky new flats that are appearing everywhere, but I believe rents in the traditional shared terraced sector to be much more competitive.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

20th out of 25? No it isn't.

its sort of done backwards, if you read the article, portsmouth is the most cost effective, Edinburgh is the most expensive, Sheffield is closer to Edinburgh in the list, so yes it is

---------- Post added 30-07-2016 at 14:53 ----------

Would be interested to know how they calculated this. Could believe it if based on the cost of the swanky new flats that are appearing everywhere, but I believe rents in the traditional shared terraced sector to be much more competitive.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

the article lists rent, going, out, fees

also

Other concerns such as subject choice, university reputation, distance from home and the cost of living were more important for 98% of prospective students.
Edited by melthebell

I'm not sure I believe that.

Where does this data sit in the list of ALL university cities in the UK? Where is Durham, Surry, Bath, St Andrews, Loughborough or Warwick for example. The University league tables have 127 Universities in the UK so this list is approx 20% of the Uni's.

Good they annoy me !

So Sheffield is more expensive than London? Having been a student in both cities, I can tell you this is rubbish.

The title is wrong. There is absolutely no suggestion that Sheffield is more expensive than average.

Probably because the OP quotes a source- BBC which quotes a source-RBS, which quotes the real source- Nat West.

Only 25 town and cities surveyed.

About100 students surveyed in each place.

Students "incentivised" to reply.

After Oxbridge where students are dissuaded from working during their 8 week terms, Sheffield students study for longer and earn the least from term time work.

Therefore their annual income is the least.

The "league table" is an index called Student Living which is the average local weekly student expenditure on living and accommodation costs divided by average local weekly income for working students. This is no indicator of how expensive Sheffield is.

In all aspects Sheffield students spend well below the average.

Sheffield rental costs is below average and 19/25.

Sheffield students at 20/25 spend less than average on alcohol.

Less than average 23/25 on bills, 18/25 on "going out", 16/25 on clothes etc..

As Student "happiness" ratings for Sheffield have always been high, it would be easy to extrapolate that because "fun" and "costs" are so low, there is little need for the students to earn extra money.

Abusive comments against students or anyone else for that matter will NOT be tolerated.

IO cannot for the life of me see how London is more cosy effective than Sheffield.

Not a large same of people asked so this is hardly a full reflection and does not include all unis