Catching criminals by them having to prove where they got their money

I suppose most people must have heard about the shooting incident on the M62 the other day, a man was shot dead by the Police. There are many reports on the TV and in the papers that he was (allegedly) a drug dealer. His Dad was being interviewed on Look North last night and saying his son was a good boy and stuff, as you`d probably expect. What would have been interesting is if the BBC reporter had asked what job his son did (to be able to afford all those big flash cars and a house with 10 CCTV cameras on it).

This led me on to something I`ve considered before, when my PC got some malware on it demanding money for the release key*.

Is there not an argument that everyone should legally have to account for where they got their money ?

Surely that`d make catching criminals easier, and even if it didn`t it`d make it much harder for them to actually spend their ill gotten gains ! This would also apply to tax dodging traders and similar, so would save all us honest tax payers some tax dollars.

* I didn`t pay, obviously, but that criminal who set up the scam will almost certainly never be brought to justice, which is infuriating.

Edited by Justin Smith

You do have to legally account for where you got your money from, if you get stopped with more than £500 cash on you the police can confiscate it until you prove it is legitimate.

Regarding the shooting suspect I've read online that the Lamborghini was a hire car and the cameras were up because someone made an attempt on his life a bit back.

I suppose most people must have heard about the shooting incident on the M62 the other day, a man was shot dead by the Police. There are many reports on the TV and in the papers that he was (allegedly) a drug dealer. His Dad was being interviewed on Look North last night and saying his son was a good boy and stuff, as you`d probably expect. What would have been interesting is if the BBC reporter had asked what job his son did (to be able to afford all those big flash cars and a house with 10 CCTV cameras on it).

This led me on to something I`ve considered before, when my PC got some malware on it demanding money for the release key*.

Is there not an argument that everyone should legally have to account for where they got their money ?

Surely that`d make catching criminals easier, and even if it didn`t it`d make it much harder for them to actually spend their ill gotten gains ! This would also apply to tax dodging traders and similar, so would save all us honest tax payers some tax dollars.

* I didn`t pay, obviously, but that criminal who set up the scam will almost certainly never be brought to justice, which is infuriating.

Everyone does legally have to account for where they got their money?

Or do you mean every time someone buys a chocolate bar they have to show the guy in the shop where they got that 56p from?

Everyone does legally have to account for where they got their money?

Or do you mean every time someone buys a chocolate bar they have to show the guy in the shop where they got that 56p from?

Er, no. I think you know what my basic point is.

Er, no. I think you know what my basic point is.

No, I have no idea. Everyone has to account for where they got their money.

You do have to legally account for where you got your money from, if you get stopped with more than £500 cash on you the police can confiscate it until you prove it is legitimate.

Regarding the shooting suspect I've read online that the Lamborghini was a hire car and the cameras were up because someone made an attempt on his life a bit back.

I thought he was in a big white Audi 4WD ? But whatever, someone hiring a Lamborghini must be making quite a lot of money. How did they make it ? And as an aside, did they pay they tax on it ?

Surely not that many people are stopped with £500 in cash on them, that`s a slightly different issue.

---------- Post added 06-01-2017 at 13:26 ----------

No, I have no idea. Everyone has to account for where they got their money.

Do they though ? Let`s talk about the scumbag who put the malware on my PC, and, one assumes, thousands of others. One would think he`s raking a fortune in. If he has to account for where he gets his money, how did he / does he explain that ?

Edited by Justin Smith

Apparently he was an office clerk.

I thought he was in a big white Audi 4WD ? But whatever, someone hiring a Lamborghini must be making quite a lot of money. How did they make it ? And as an aside, did they pay they tax on it ?

Surely not that many people are stopped with £500 in cash on them, that`s a slightly different issue.

---------- Post added 06-01-2017 at 13:26 ----------

Do they though ? Let`s talk about the scumbag who put the malware on my PC, and, one assumes, thousands of others. One would think he`s raking a fortune in. If he has to account for where he gets his money, how did he / does he explain that ?

a) he probably lives in India.

b) obviously you aren't going to report your ill gotten gains

So I am sure if you are breaking one law you won't mind breaking another so back to my original question do you propose every time we spend money we have to prove where we got it?

Do you even know what you are trying to suggest?

It is entirely reasonable during an investigation into someone suspected of criminal activity, to look at and ask them to explain their financial situation.

I suppose it depends on the circumstances and the areas where you are stopped??? if you are in culturally sensitive area for instance? there are plenty of areas where there are some very expensive cars and people with no visible means of supporting that lifestyle....thats because its usually drugs.

as for hiring a lambo that does cost serious money per day upwards of £800.

i wonder why there were apparently shotgun pellet marks on his house? i read that online also it might explain the cameras though. allegedly your honor.

Good isn't it. You've never done anything wrong in your life and the police can have your money until you prove your innocence. Can't see anything wrong with that at all can you?

Please note that the minimum amount of cash is £1000 and the police actually have to have sufficient evidence of criminal activity to seize it... they cant just take it if it's there.

Edited by Obelix

a) he probably lives in India.

b) obviously you aren't going to report your ill gotten gains

So I am sure if you are breaking one law you won't mind breaking another so back to my original question do you propose every time we spend money we have to prove where we got it?

Do you even know what you are trying to suggest?

I`m floating the idea, it`d need tuning, but I`m saying there`s potential in it. Can someone give me an example where anybody couldn`t prove where they legitimately got their money ? If they`re employed it`d be pay slips and stuff, if they`re self employed it`d be invoices.