Is it time Britain had a referendum on the Monarchy

Keep the Monarchy  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Keep the Monarchy

• NO
    • Yes

So the royal family are in the news again as they've a cold. . Is it time for a Republic after Elizabeth hangs up her boots. Or are they worth keeping a bit longer

Seemsthe u.n. still thinks we ought to have a referendum on the issue http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/2122182/Britain-should-get-rid-of-the-monarchy-says-UN.html

Is it fair to assume from the way the poll SHOUTS no thats your leaning? :)

Is it fair to assume from the way the poll SHOUTS no thats your leaning? :)

Like most self respecting Northeners YES :)

I doubt very much there will be any national referendums on anything for a very long time.

If there was a referendum, then the result would be a victory to keep the monarchy and afterwards sore losers, who voted against keeping the monarchy, would say the result wasn't legally binding and expect Parliament to get rid of the monarchy.

If there was a referendum, then the result would be a victory to keep the monarchy

Absolutely. Channel 4's recent poll said that 75% were in favour of the monarchy, and these 2015 results speak for themselves:

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/09/08/monarchy-here-stay/

The thread title and poll question is misleading though, thread title is "Is it time Britain had a referendum on the Monarchy"

But the poll is "Keep the Monarchy?".

Rather misleading poll. The title of the thread means a yes vote would indicate that someone wants a referendum on the monarchy. The actual poll (which asks whether the monarchy should be kept) means a yes vote indicates someone doesn't want a referendum on the monarchy..

We should keep the Monarchy.

What we should do is question the motives of those who want to get rid of something which is part of our national identity.

I would vote to keep the monarchy.

I do not like the sound of the President of the United Kingdom or prime ministers.

I doubt very much there will be any national referendums on anything for a very long time.

If there was a referendum, then the result would be a victory to keep the monarchy and afterwards sore losers, who voted against keeping the monarchy, would say the result wasn't legally binding and expect Parliament to get rid of the monarchy.

Parliament can make a referendum legally binding if they wanted. Want me to tell you which referendum it was that did have a legally binding result?

Maybe you could READ on the matter.

So the royal family are in the news again as they've a cold. . Is it time for a Republic after Elizabeth hangs up her boots. Or are they worth keeping a bit longer

Seemsthe u.n. still thinks we ought to have a referendum on the issue http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/theroyalfamily/2122182/Britain-should-get-rid-of-the-monarchy-says-UN.html

Do commoners not get colds?

Parliament can make a referendum legally binding if they wanted. Want me to tell you which referendum it was that did have a legally binding result?

Maybe you could READ on the matter.

There isn't going to be a referendum on the monarchy and I could ask the wife to do a bit of googling, if I was interested to find out more information on legally binding referendums.

Again you missed my point :)