England How does the National Football Team move forward ?

England I think most fans would agree are Poor and don't seem to be any better ,

To start with Go back to 4-4-2 formation . as for Players the talent is there but not enough of it . more English players should be playing in prem and until FA bring a rule bk to have so many English players in each teams starting 11 the talent will get thin , just my opinion

Sounds plausible until you realise that in the 1970s and 1980s, when basically the only foreigners playing in the English First Division were Scottish, the England international football team were nearly as rubbish as they are now.

Sounds plausible until you realise that in the 1970s and 1980s, when basically the only foreigners playing in the English First Division were Scottish, the England international football team were nearly as rubbish as they are now.

Correct. We didn't qualify for some tournaments back then. We were crap then and worse now. I'd be struggling to pick a massively better 11 than the one that started against Slovenia. There would be two or three changes and that's it - keeper is good, back 4 best we've got dier is good, Ali is good (for Spurs anyway - the new McManamen?) sturrige(or Kane). You can faff around with the rest - Townsend was good and lallana will be back. Henderson - but swap with who? Rooney?

Funnily enough I think our biggest problem is consistently easy qualifying groups - we aren't pushed until we hit a tournament, then we aren't prepared.

Correct. We didn't qualify for some tournaments back then. We were crap then and worse now. I'd be struggling to pick a massively better 11 than the one that started against Slovenia. There would be two or three changes and that's it - keeper is good, back 4 best we've got dier is good, Ali is good (for Spurs anyway - the new McManamen?) sturrige(or Kane). You can faff around with the rest - Townsend was good and lallana will be back. Henderson - but swap with who? Rooney?

Funnily enough I think our biggest problem is consistently easy qualifying groups - we aren't pushed until we hit a tournament, then we aren't prepared.

Isn't it the same for the other 'big' football nations though? Not that we are one them mind you.

Everyone talks about the talent in the Belgium team and how high they are in the rankings, but what have they won?!, and what do their fans say about their failings?

They might go forward -well since July 1966-for starters , by not having to face the Iceland national team in the near future ,although others await.

I think its a combination of cultural talent and cultural attitude and mindset

England I think most fans would agree are Poor and don't seem to be any better ,

To start with Go back to 4-4-2 formation . as for Players the talent is there but not enough of it . more English players should be playing in prem and until FA bring a rule bk to have so many English players in each teams starting 11 the talent will get thin , just my opinion

When I was kid, we played at school: 2-3-5, the same system employed by Real Madrid (Puskas, Di Stefano, Kopa, Gento etc) that terrified opposing defences. Well the Spanish team did anyway !

If you are 55 or older the only formation in those days was 2-3-5 and it was designed to attack, but with the two wing halves to move between defence and attack as needed.

I don't think England's main challenge is the formation they play or the ability of its players. We have more fundamental problems, with training, motivation, strategies and retaining players in the side who have passed their due date.

We still need to rotate top foreign players in the sides, as a learning process, but a mechanism should be sought to limit this, as in teams like Manchester City, who have quite often fielded 11 foreign players.

Also we have not made the best choices relative to managers over the past 10-15 years, which reflects poorly on the FA. Put all these things together and, well you have all seen the results.

Edited by glennpickard
forgot one issue

If you are 55 or older the only formation in those days was 2-3-5 and it was designed to attack, but with the two wing halves to move between defence and attack as needed.

I don't think England's main challenge is the formation they play or the ability of its players. We have more fundamental problems, with training, motivation, strategies and retaining players in the side who have passed their due date.

We still need to rotate top foreign players in the sides, as a learning process, but a mechanism should be sought to limit this, as in teams like Manchester City, who have quite often fielded 11 foreign players.

Also we have not made the best choices relative to managers over the past 10-15 years, which reflects poorly on the FA. Put all these things together and, well you have all seen the results.

As of Manchester City, in the 1969 F.A. Cup Final (against Leicester City) they fielded 11 English born players and the sub too ! Times change I suppose.

---------- Post added 03-11-2016 at 21:54 ----------

Since when were the Scottish (footballers or people) 'foreigners', do they have a different passport ? All English football teams, have had at sometime players from Scotland, Ireland, Wales and Northern Ireland and sometimes in the same team.

Aaron Cresswell - his skills are sublime.

Patrik Roberts - unbelievable skill.

Marcus Rashford - energy,pace,skill and vision.

These three are the clear standouts for me to improve the team.

But for some strange reason the last line of England managers were reluctant to make changes quickly to the younger players, and this has gone on for a long time. Even if a senior has mediocre games he pops up again and again.

They have to get the strategy, training and formations right, then if we get the right manager we might start to win games again ?

The players themselves have to be involved in this process. And I believe we need to regularly play the under 21 team against the "Senior" team in practice games. To pick up pointers in various formations, to see the speed and agility differences, and to give both teams different strategies to use on the field