Underpaid Peers

House of Lords: Conservative Donor Lord Farmer Says Peers' Allowance Is 'Inadequate'

I would love to digest the comments made by the politically motivated on the Shefffield Forum based upon the latest comments from the have and have nots;)

Tell him to get a Saturday job down his local Lidl

House of Lords: Conservative Donor Lord Farmer Says Peers' Allowance Is 'Inadequate'

I would love to digest the comments made by the politically motivated on the Shefffield Forum based upon the latest comments from the have and have nots;)

I suppose that depends on whether he thinks that he gets a rough deal out of the House of Lords, or he thinks that the working class folk who were given peerages find it difficult to commute from Wigan to attand the Lords for £300 daily allowance.

Something between

£150 a day x 261 days (5 day week) = £39,150

£300 a day x 261 days (5 day week) = £78,300

From the horse's mouth

At the top end, it's more than MPs, so has to be deemed perfectly adequate, if not loud-ish (I'm thinking loud-ish, for the avoidance of doubt: I'd expect MPs to have much more to do day-to-day in practical terms, than Lords). That said, I wouldn't like to live in London on £39k :|

That's why it makes a lot more economic sense to move the Houses of Parliament to Sheffield.

As soon as I saw the headline,my first thoughts were.

Give back the Peerage ,end of problem.I just find it bloody annoying that a Peerage is accepted then they have the cheek to want to re negotiate the T`s and C`s of being in the Lords.If the £300 per day was acceptable initially then stop bloody moaning now.If he does not like it ,give it back ,end of............

As soon as I saw the headline,my first thoughts were.

Give back the Peerage ,end of problem.I just find it bloody annoying that a Peerage is accepted then they have the cheek to want to re negotiate the T`s and C`s of being in the Lords.If the £300 per day was acceptable initially then stop bloody moaning now.If he does not like it ,give it back ,end of............

Who say's he doesn't like it? I doubt it's any skin off his nose. But there are a lot of ordinary folk who have been given peerages who might need to cover their costs if they attend. Should they all give back their peerages?

His moan is £300 per day is not enough......

OK then ,keep the Peerage but do not attend and claim the cash,Now sorted

But they only have to turn up for their daily pittance, swan round for an hour or two then they are off. Not like our eight to twelve hours a day for less than £100.

Absolutelt right Lazarus and its that what annoys so much.

Lord Farmer, a hedge-fund boss and Tory donor, said people would consider the allowance ‘modest and even inadequate’ if they knew how hard peers worked.

He added that the pay should be increased because attending the House of Lords ‘restricts their earning opportunities elsewhere’.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/31/peer-says-300-daily-allowance-for-attending-house-of-lords-isnt-enough-5654252/#ixzz3yx3ooPRe

The thing what really does annoy is that this guy really believes that an increase is deserved:loopy:

Come the revolution.......................

Absolutelt right Lazarus and its that what annoys so much.

Lord Farmer, a hedge-fund boss and Tory donor, said people would consider the allowance ‘modest and even inadequate’ if they knew how hard peers worked.

He added that the pay should be increased because attending the House of Lords ‘restricts their earning opportunities elsewhere’.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/31/peer-says-300-daily-allowance-for-attending-house-of-lords-isnt-enough-5654252/#ixzz3yx3ooPRe

The thing what really does annoy is that this guy really believes that an increase is deserved:loopy:

Come the revolution.......................

Hmmm, that's the standard excuse of the greedy wanting to blackmail others: "Give us some more money, or else we'll leave!"

Well bugger off then I'm not standing in your way!!

Typically Chief Executives in the public sector earning more than the Prime Minister use this argument all the time to justify their wages: "We can get paid more in the private sector". Or bankers getting mardy when others grumble about their huge bonuses "We'll go overseas where we're paid more"....

But they only have to turn up for their daily pittance, swan round for an hour or two then they are off. Not like our eight to twelve hours a day for less than £100.

The people who work 12 hours a day for less than 100 mostly lack intelligence, ability and talent. They are the waifs and strays of society. I hardly think it is fair to compare them to Lords.