Foraging in Sheffield

I'm doing a project on the accessibility of foraging in the city and the outskirts and I'm wondering what experiences people have, who knows good places whether it be berries, mushrooms or whatever. I've had a gander on past posts but they seem a bit dated. Any help or information would be good at this point!

Only info I have is unless you know 100% what you're doing DON'T forage for MUSHROOMS!!!

If you know where to go you can get all sorts of goodies. I live near Underbank reservoir and this year the blackberries were everywhere....we walked up there a few weeks ago and I couldn't believe how many were left over, especially as the supermarkets charge a fortune. There's also loads of elderberries up that way.

My Grandad used to pick mushrooms up by Loxley Common and I think there used to be a couple of pear trees up that way too.

I used to go wild berry picking all the time when I lived out in the sticks, not so much if at all now. I used to forage mainly for berries and wild garlic.

I think someone has been watching a little too much of the Multi Millionaire Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall.

Its not as easy as he makes it look (apart from Blackberrys which are like weeds in the UK).

You have to have the land owners permission unless its common ground.

You get a lot less then you think. A huge bag of common Sorrel will only make enough for 2 at the most.

You need to know exactly what you are picking before eating it.

Watch out for other poisonous plants you may rub against while foraging, like Giant hogweed or deadly nightshade.

Don't pick anything in a park that is lower than 1.5M. Dogs and other animals will have peed at that height.

Most importantly, don't expect to be able to live off what you find in a bush. Unless you live half eaten pizza distance from a Dominos.

Me and my girlfriend often go foraging for truffles when we're out and about in Derbyshire.

The sum total this year (or ever) is zero. This we think is mainly due to the fact we don't know what indigenous wild Derbyshire truffles look like in the first place. Also (and a little disheartening to be frank), the few 'eureka' moments and cries of wild elation, have sadly, on closer inspection, turned out to be nothing more than wild animal droppings … be they from deer, fox, or someone of Parsonian origin.

However, along with our panning for gold in the river Wye (exact location remaining secret for obvious reason), these disappointments do not deter us. 'I'm not worried by setbacks' is my middle name. :cool:

Some good looking apples in the Weston park hospital car park.

I think someone has been watching a little too much of the Multi Millionaire Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall.

Its not as easy as he makes it look (apart from Blackberrys which are like weeds in the UK).

You have to have the land owners permission unless its common ground.

You get a lot less then you think. A huge bag of common Sorrel will only make enough for 2 at the most.

You need to know exactly what you are picking before eating it.

Watch out for other poisonous plants you may rub against while foraging, like Giant hogweed or deadly nightshade.

Don't pick anything in a park that is lower than 1.5M. Dogs and other animals will have peed at that height.

Most importantly, don't expect to be able to live off what you find in a bush. Unless you live half eaten pizza distance from a Dominos.

Oh yeah I didn't mention this is a research project I'm doing for a design piece, so I'm mainly wanting to find out more about all the ins and outs of it, and really how accessible it is, and understanding the difficulties and dangers. My aim isn't necassarily to eat whats found anyway. But this feedback is all helpful and is pretty much what I'm after actually, gaining more of an understanding of what foraging is and whether we should or shouldn't be doing it.

Oh yeah I didn't mention this is a research project I'm doing for a design piece, so I'm mainly wanting to find out more about all the ins and outs of it, and really how accessible it is, and understanding the difficulties and dangers. My aim isn't necassarily to eat whats found anyway. But this feedback is all helpful and is pretty much what I'm after actually, gaining more of an understanding of what foraging is and whether we should or shouldn't be doing it.

In that case, just get out there and start foraging :) all experience will be research in one way or another.

Porcini are very easy to identify, but you have to be very quick off the mark to pick them before the slugs & grubs get to them. In any event, the season for them passed a few weeks ago.

Me and my girlfriend often go foraging for truffles when we're out and about in Derbyshire.

The sum total this year (or ever) is zero. This we think is mainly due to the fact we don't know what indigenous wild Derbyshire truffles look like in the first place. Also (and a little disheartening to be frank), the few 'eureka' moments and cries of wild elation, have sadly, on closer inspection, turned out to be nothing more than wild animal droppings … be they from deer, fox, or someone of Parsonian origin.

However, along with our panning for gold in the river Wye (exact location remaining secret for obvious reason), these disappointments do not deter us. 'I'm not worried by setbacks' is my middle name. :cool:

You should get a farmer to lend you pig on a lead (or in a poke) for truffle hunting.

Or even easier Thorntons sell Belgian truffles

Blackberries and raspberries in October. Broadfield retail park used to loaded with them.

Come may you can pick wild garlic flowers in millhouses park.

Would like to know more