Potentially complex party wall

Building anything is complicated serving the notices is fairly straightforward. Ask the owner occupier if they own the whole building, if there is a separate freeholder and if the tenants are shorthold or long lease and then you know the number of copies you need to serve. As you have already presumably myou et some of the occupants and possibly the owner of at least one flat, why not invite everyone round for coffee and biscuits to discuss your plans for the extension and you can get your information then in a more informal and friendly manner. I think most neighbours would like the idea of being in on the plans, from the point of view of knowing about them before the council notification comes through.

Above all else: ensure that you do everything by the book, and get it fully documented.

This will- or should!- avoid/minimise problems arising when either property next changes hands.

Building anything is complicated serving the notices is fairly straightforward. Ask the owner occupier if they own the whole building, if there is a separate freeholder and if the tenants are shorthold or long lease and then you know the number of copies you need to serve. As you have already presumably myou et some of the occupants and possibly the owner of at least one flat, why not invite everyone round for coffee and biscuits to discuss your plans for the extension and you can get your information then in a more informal and friendly manner. I think most neighbours would like the idea of being in on the plans, from the point of view of knowing about them before the council notification comes through.

Thanks for the suggestion - it's the non-resident landlord/freeholders that we're more concerned about getting a response from, though.

Regarding the council notification - it's a small extension so as far as I'm aware, we don't need planning permission - it's just the party wall notice.

Personally if I was in your situation, which as you say could become complex with multiple parties, then it may be well worth employing the services of a Party Wall Surveyor, to serve the notices on your behalf. This may seem like an unwanted upfront cost but could well save you a lot of time and major headache and sleepness nights, plus you'll get the relevant advice.

Personally I would recommend you having a chat with Rhys Taylor at Taylor Tuxford http://www.taylortuxford.co.uk/about-us/rhys-taylor I have used his services in the past when I had issues with an awkward neighbour trying to stop my extension.

---------- Post added 26-01-2017 at 23:52 ----------

Thanks for the suggestion - it's the non-resident landlord/freeholders that we're more concerned about getting a response from, though.

Regarding the council notification - it's a small extension so as far as I'm aware, we don't need planning permission - it's just the party wall notice.

I would check with the council first, as Jeffrey has said above you will need the relevant documentation should you sell the property or a neighbouring property may decide to kick up a stink in the future for whatever reason.

Edited by mega_monty
Typo

Our neighbour never bothered even notifying us of his intentions to extend his property very close to our boundary. This was despite there being covenants written into both freeholds (ours and theirs) that nothing could be built onto the side of our detached houses and that the 8ft on either side had to remain clear. He went ahead all the same but I wonder if there will be problems now when we come to sell our house. It would be awful if he had to pull his extension down. I've not made an issue of it for the sake of neighbourly relations.