Allardyce is new England manager - not any more!

As some one who doesn't watch football, it's a real laugh watching the England team on the pitch (2 mins of the highlights, that's more than enough) and now the manager with a £3 million a year wage (plus bonuses on top) scrabbling around in the gutter for an extra £400,000. And the twerp thinks it's the papers fault, entrapment or any other excuse he can find. Not only that, according to the papers the FA have allegedly given the failure a £1 million pay off.

You could not make this debacle up it's that ridiculous. Anyhow, Sams off to his overseas mansion for a hoilday - so all's well that ends well.

Angel1.

As some one who doesn't watch football, it's a real laugh watching the England team on the pitch???!

As some one who doesn't watch football, it's a real laugh watching the England team on the pitch (2 mins of the highlights, that's more than enough) and now the manager with a £3 million a year wage (plus bonuses on top) scrabbling around in the gutter for an extra £400,000. And the twerp thinks it's the papers fault, entrapment or any other excuse he can find. Not only that, according to the papers the FA have allegedly given the failure a £1 million pay off.

You could not make this debacle up it's that ridiculous. Anyhow, Sams off to his overseas mansion for a hoilday - so all's well that ends well.

Angel1.

Plain greed from these people who earn what is only a dream for most.

Well Southgate has kept Rooney on as captain ensuring he will be selected in the first eleven.

With the WC still a few years away can only see Rooney heading in one direction,so not sure what is the point in selecting him for even the squad.

He looks more ready for the over 35 veterans England team.

Southgate has taken the soft option.

For 4 games, Southgate will not make any waves, he will stay with the same crew. It is a mistake putting him in charge, unless the FA are convinced he may be right for the job.

The FA should be experimenting with a manager who is not afraid to shake things up. What would it have cost to put Steve Bruce in there for 4 games to see what he can do ?

The FA itself needs to be shaken up !

For 4 games, Southgate will not make any waves, he will stay with the same crew. It is a mistake putting him in charge, unless the FA are convinced he may be right for the job.

The FA should be experimenting with a manager who is not afraid to shake things up. What would it have cost to put Steve Bruce in there for 4 games to see what he can do ?

The FA itself needs to be shaken up !

He's the caretaker until June when Arsene is out of contract and will take over.

That's what the FA apparently want to happen anyway.

But I reckon Arsene will get another year at Arsenal.

If England want Arsene W. they should have signed a contract with him so he could turn down Arsenal for a June 2017 England start. If nothing is signed with AW, just a "Maybe, we will wait and see," then I would have preferred to see Steve Bruce signed up asap.

England are a joke at the moment.

can anyone remember a time when they haven't been?

because I can't.

yes I can remember, as I watched the 1966 world cup final. But such a long time ago, and many European teams have had many victories since, but none for England.

Where is the problem, we all want to know.

a) the FA itself, with overpaid managers who don't know what is needed at the strategy and playing level ? Are they fat cats with little or no experience ? No success in 50 years says we are doing badly.

b) the coaching. The England coaches do not use the same successful techniques that the continental coaches do ?

c) club teams are much more important than the country's team ? So the effort is missing ?

d) the players themselves are just not ready for the top levels ?

e) we do not have the drive and ambition to win that others have ?

f) do we hang on to players too long, ie. until age 30/31, whereas other teams use a younger group ?

It may be all or none, but I believe someone has to go through the system from top to bottom to determine where the problems are. A post mortem is necessary, and yes I would start with a). Who could do it ? Difficult for the FA, it would be the same as the police policing the police.

One suggestion is to get two or three (older not younger) ex managers who have worked at the highest levels, with a history of success in Europe (or Brazil/Argentina) and give them carte blanche to go through the English system top to bottom. They would be contracted on a full time basis. Give them 6 months to come up with recommendations, to be made public.

Part of their remuneration would be fixed, but the majority to be "Success" based on a review 18 or 24 months later.

Be interesting to see what others think ?

yes I can remember, as I watched the 1966 world cup final. But such a long time ago, and many European teams have had many victories since, but none for England.

Where is the problem, we all want to know.

a) the FA itself, with overpaid managers who don't know what is needed at the strategy and playing level ? Are they fat cats with little or no experience ? No success in 50 years says we are doing badly.

b) the coaching. The England coaches do not use the same successful techniques that the continental coaches do ?

c) club teams are much more important than the country's team ? So the effort is missing ?

d) the players themselves are just not ready for the top levels ?

e) we do not have the drive and ambition to win that others have ?

f) do we hang on to players too long, ie. until age 30/31, whereas other teams use a younger group ?

It may be all or none, but I believe someone has to go through the system from top to bottom to determine where the problems are. A post mortem is necessary, and yes I would start with a). Who could do it ? Difficult for the FA, it would be the same as the police policing the police.

One suggestion is to get two or three (older not younger) ex managers who have worked at the highest levels, with a history of success in Europe (or Brazil/Argentina) and give them carte blanche to go through the English system top to bottom. They would be contracted on a full time basis. Give them 6 months to come up with recommendations, to be made public.

Part of their remuneration would be fixed, but the majority to be "Success" based on a review 18 or 24 months later.

Be interesting to see what others think ?

They weren't bad in 1970 either....

2-0 win tonight,not a good performance but it's a win.