Underpaid Peers

He added that the pay should be increased because attending the House of Lords ‘restricts their earning opportunities elsewhere’.
The same can be said of most high-profile public appointments, the jobholders of many of which face the harshest possible interview technique: the ballot box.

Which Lords don't.

So, errr...prestige and public duty, or greed? Make you choice, Lord Farmer, you can't have your cake and eating it I'm afraid.

Typically Chief Executives in the public sector earning more than the Prime Minister use this argument all the time to justify their wages: "We can get paid more in the private sector".
For most CEs, I very much doubt that, i.e. that they'd get paid more in the private sector for an equivalent job with all things being equal (responsibilities, targets, perks, HR/security, etc.)...

Or bankers getting mardy when others grumble about their huge bonuses "We'll go overseas where we're paid more"....
...but that is true, and many are doing just that indeed.

The people who work 12 hours a day for less than 100 mostly lack intelligence, ability and talent. They are the waifs and strays of society. I hardly think it is fair to compare them to Lords.

Waifs and strays of society, how dare you say that, I had a very skilled job making high class cutlery and I and hundreds of others never earned £100 a day and I am highly intelligent and have ability and talent and I loved my job.

Waifs and strays of society, how dare you say that, I had a very skilled job making high class cutlery and I and hundreds of others never earned £100 a day and I am highly intelligent and have ability and talent and I loved my job.

How long ago was this?

If it was recent you probably weren't that skilled. £100 a day is below the average earnings. A skilled person would have a higher market value.

There is nothing wrong with being at that end of society, someone has to be.

The people who work 12 hours a day for less than 100 mostly lack intelligence, ability and talent. They are the waifs and strays of society. I hardly think it is fair to compare them to Lords.

I certainly worked more than 12 hours a day (HGV Driver) and never even got near to £100 per day.

The rest of your diatribe is not worthy of comment, I imagine you may be "trolling" a little.

Angel1.

I certainly worked more than 12 hours a day (HGV Driver) and never even got near to £100 per day.

The rest of your diatribe is not worthy of comment, I imagine you may be "trolling" a little.

Angel1.

Hardly the job of a trail blazer is it?

It is interestimg that the very people you appear to despise so much are the folk who kept you in business by buying the things you manufactured.

Edited by foxy lady

How long ago was this?

If it was recent you probably weren't that skilled. £100 a day is below the average earnings. A skilled person would have a higher market value.

There is nothing wrong with being at that end of society, someone has to be.

I was a skilled Cutlery worker and they only paid what was the rate in the trade, average earnings are worked out on astronomically high rates including highly paid jobs like central heating engineers, electricians, bricklayers etc. and in there are the low paid jobs which can only pay rate that goes with the job. You can't demand £100 a day if it's not possible to pay it. What's your job?

Bull****! There are lots of people who work very hard for little money, and who do not lack intelligence, ability or talent. No they are not the 'waifs and strays of society'.

The average pay in the UK AFAIK is £26,500 gross. Not far off the "£100 a day below the average earnings" you claim in post 15.

No the Lords, or Lord Farmer's views aren't representative - thank god.

Come on peoples.This thread was not intended to get angry with each other

( though thats how a normal SF discussion ends).Any anger should be vented at the ones who supply us with the ammunition that has created this discussion.

I am convinced that employed or not,if anyone that I know of reasonable intelligence were offered to get paid £300 per day to listen discuss and help pass possible laws,they would snatch my bloody hand off.

Written from the back of your chauffeured Bentley perhaps?

yet, for no financial reward at all, you are happy to spend time on here to communicate with some of the waifs and strays.

Remind me again, who is it has low intelligence?