Britain should no longer be a Christian country.

no sorry my parents didn't brain wash me into believing , at 4 years old you do have a choice , just like you have the choice between fish-fingers or sausages for supper !!!

This is highly disingenous.

If your parents teach you that christianity is real, then at 4 years old you have no capability to apply rational thought and judge for yourself.

notice Lottiecass if I chose not to go to i.e.. for a play date or as I got older I did swimming competitions and missed church but it didn't change my faith in Jesus or my relationship with him .

Because the damage was already done.

they told me what they believed but I chose myself to become a Christian.

You can tell yourself that, but it's contrary to the way children learn.

If your parents had been Hindu, you'd now be a Hindu. If they'd been Shintoist, you'd be a shintoist.

This is highly disingenous.

If your parents teach you that christianity is real, then at 4 years old you have no capability to apply rational thought and judge for yourself.

Because the damage was already done.

You can tell yourself that, but it's contrary to the way children learn.

If your parents had been Hindu, you'd now be a Hindu. If they'd been Shintoist, you'd be a shintoist.

It's incomprehensible that she thinks a 4 year old correlates "fish fingers" OR "sausages" to be the same thing as the "ever loving Big Man who'll keep an eye for you" OR "Hell and eternal damnation".

I find it very sad (and I mean upsetting not uncool).

This could be a 21st Century version of Terry and June.

not really we are a family living together happily with no dis-functionality.

no sorry my parents didn't brain wash me into believing , at 4 years old you do have a choice , just like you have the choice between fish-fingers or sausages for supper !!!

notice Lottiecass if I chose not to go to i.e.. for a play date or as I got older I did swimming competitions and missed church but it didn't change my faith in Jesus or my relationship with him .

---------- Post added 01-02-2016 at 12:45 ----------

they told me what they believed but I chose myself to become a Christian.

What worries me is that with no education about God, Christianity, other faiths, etc in schools, no information in the home, and little information anywhere else, how are children and young people even going to know that there might be choices to be made or what questions to ask. Eventually, they'll never even have heard of God.

What worries me is that with no education about God, Christianity, other faiths, etc in schools, no information in the home, and little information anywhere else, how are children and young people even going to know that there might be choices to be made or what questions to ask.

You could already apply that sentiment to all the other religions. How are children currently supposed to know about the choices there are to be had amongst all the other religions (rather than just the limited few we teach them about in school and at home).

How many kids are missing out on Zoroastrianism, Jainism, Raëlism, Scientology, Shinto, Dahomey, Bori, Berber, Anishinaabe, Vodou, Palo, Satanism (the official version, not devil worshippers), Taoism and many, many more religions.

Does that not worry you, that they currently are steered more toward one religion rather than told that there are thousands of other religions, all as likely as each other to be true/correct?

Eventually, they'll never even have heard of God.
If one of the many gods does exist and he/she/it is no longer heard of, what kind of genuine, real god becomes obsolete at the hands of his/her/it's creation? Certainly not an omnipotent one.

Why on Earth would we want our children believing that one of these thousands of supernatural characters, for which there has never been a scrap of evidence, exists? Why not encourage them to believe in other extraordinary but unlikely things as well?

Maybe we should just put Youtube on and say "There you go, have a look on there - it's probably all true!".

Edited by RootsBooster

What worries me is that with no education about God, Christianity, other faiths, etc in schools, no information in the home, and little information anywhere else, how are children and young people even going to know that there might be choices to be made or what questions to ask.
Why would children not be taught about religion in a secular country?

It's an inherent and non-trivial portion of any self-respecting History syllabus. Certainly has been for decades and longer in the arch-secular French syllabus, and still is to this day.

How else are you going to teach kids about the Inquisition, Henry VIII's political kerfuffles with the Vatican, the Maurs' conquests until the 8th century, the "divine right" character of monarchies of old, etc, etc? It's unavoidable, factual context that must be provided for kids to make sense of it all.

Secularity is not synonym with revisionism, Anna. It just builds a neat, theocracy-proof, insulating wall around the State, its instruments and agents. That's all it does.

Eventually, they'll never even have heard of God.
So long as they do get to hear about Newton, Faraday, Edison...;) Edited by L00b