Greggs the Bakers

Gone all up market! Sit in café, all cappuccini and plush seating. The staff are still reassuringly stupid.

Edited by bladderhead

Gone all up market! Sit in café, all cappuccini and plush seating. The staff are still reassuringly stupid.

And not as cheap as they used to be.

I went in a greggs today, and bought a sausage roll. 80p to take out, or £1.10 to eat in. This has something to do with paying vat, or tax to eat in. If it vat then 20% of 80p is not 30p, so why does it cost £1.10p.

I think i might be missing a point here, perhaps they are charging me 30p for the pleasure of sitting down to eat my roll.

Mcdonalds dont charge extra, and neither to Kfc.

A little info on why would be helpful,

I went in a greggs today, and bought a sausage roll. 80p to take out, or £1.10 to eat in. This has something to do with paying vat, or tax to eat in. If it vat then 20% of 80p is not 30p, so why does it cost £1.10p.

I think i might be missing a point here, perhaps they are charging me 30p for the pleasure of sitting down to eat my roll.

you already pay vat on macdonalds and kfc

I thought it was cold food to take away was zero rated.

Hot food to take away was standard rated.

All food eaten on the premises is a service issue and so remains standard rated for VAT

So 80p is for cold food takeaway. Go and look at the sausage rollgate that made the headlines.

KFC because its classed as hot food = standard VAT.

Any food eaten in Greggs = on premises = VAT, hence the difference and the margin is madeup for the extra expense of probiing seating etc. All thats included in KFC from the start as one price.

Sad day when i found that more interesting than migration. Not an accountant, but i think thats more or less it.

Incorrect. In reality they don't pass on any discount (although I'm not sure if legally they can) for taking your food out. You then subsidise the diners who eat in.

Incorrect. In reality they don't pass on any discount (although I'm not sure if legally they can) for taking your food out. You then subsidise the diners who eat in.

There is no discount to pass on, in terms of VAT.

Some good answers, still not with the figures though !! , i guess i will assume that vat has nothing to do with it, and greggs thank me for not dropping crumbs on the floor, making a mess of the table etc, and reward me with a 30p discount.

Some good answers, still not with the figures though !! , i guess i will assume that vat has nothing to do with it, and greggs thank me for not dropping crumbs on the floor, making a mess of the table etc, and reward me with a 30p discount.

Ive gone to the trouble to tell you what the answer is for goodness sake. How can you not understand?

If you are eating in, just tell staff you are taking away therefore not charge the extra tax.

You will not be challenged by staff as it is a requirement for them to ask.

This was told to me by a member of staff.