Rail fares up by more than inflation, why?

January 2012 saw a rail fare increase of 5.9%. This coming January we will see a rise of 5.8%. All on a backdrop of recession and economic gloom. Scotland will see a rise of 3.8%!

I can't see why this should happen? We already have one of, if not the most expensive rail networks in the world, with little to show for it. Compare that to Italy who have better, nicer and a more reliable rail system and we pay 10 times what they pay for season tickets!!!

You already know the answer

You already know the answer

Do I? I must have had a bought of Alzheimer then as I must have forgotten. If I know the answer and you know I know the answer, why can you tell me the answer?

It is privately run and so as a business it will extort as much money as possible from customers. It will 0f course blame fuel prices. It should be nationalised .

Three reasons.

One, to increase shareholder value.

Two, to increase the already monumental pay of the rail network senior managers (one of the more prominent examples of extravagant rewards for failure).

Three, as a subsidy extorted for upcoming improvements to the network infrastructure and the HS2, which will almost certainly be forced through one way or another.

I agree that the rail service should be nationalised at this point. Compared to other countries in Europe it is currently providing minimum performance for maximum cost.

Do I? I must have had a bought of Alzheimer then as I must have forgotten. If I know the answer and you know I know the answer, why can you tell me the answer?

Because we both know, that's why I can tell you the answer and if you know already there doesn't seem much point in telling you.

EDIT:

The BBC headline has been changed from 11% to 6.2%. I wonder why? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19251068

Edited by Mecky

Because we both know, that's why I can tell you the answer and if you know already there doesn't seem much point in telling you.

EDIT:

The BBC headline has been changed from 11% to 6.2%. I wonder why? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19251068

I'm not a commuter so have little exposure to the ins and outs of the rail industry, but I do wonder how we can get it so wrong for so much money.

The BBC are allowed to get things wrong you know.

The ex transport Minister Phillip Hammond has already admitted that trains have become "a rich mans toy" and that some fares are "eye wateringly” expensive.

Successive governments have wanted the passengers to pay more whilst the Treasury pays less. They don't seem to realise that the majority of passengers do not travel by train because they think its fun, they travel by train because they need to get to work thereby helping business and the economy. It is counter intuitive to penalise people for having to use public transport to get to work.

The railway is an integral part of Britain's infrastructure, it was madness to sell it private companies who only want to provide dividends for their shareholders.

Edited by taxman

I can't see why this should happen? !!!

Simple answer, is because they can charge exactly what they want. If they could have got away with it, they could have upped it by 50%

Why is it happening? because people have no choice, people have to get to work to pay the bills, getting to work by car is becoming financially more expensive and so people take the train. People also travel great distances simply to get to and from work.

Another reason, is that as a country we are in serious financial trouble and so the productive side of our society has to pay more cash from their earnings to pay for the financial mess we are in. The government can't up tax to 80% of peoples wages and so people need to be taxed in another way. Getting peoples money by making it very expensive to get to work is a very good way of getting additional tax.

Investment in Rail Network is 26% of the cost of a ticket.

Thats an awful lot of money for such a shoddy system, where is it all going??

Investment in Rail Network is 26% of the cost of a ticket.

Thats an awful lot of money for such a shoddy system, where is it all going??

I was watching the news today & huge amount goes on updating railway stations, important but increasing capacity I'd prioritise