Best mid-range bicycle?

Thanks kckc.

---------- Post added 19-08-2014 at 18:54 ----------

I upgraded from an aluminium Boardman cyclocross bike to a carbon Giant bike this summer and the difference is massive. On really wet days I still use the Boardman because of it's disc brakes, and it feels like I'm dragging a dead weight around behind me. The big difference is that it's a lot easier to maintain your momentum up hills so you don't have to change down too far if you're going into the hill at a fair speed.

It worth remembering rule number 10, that it never gets easier, you just go faster.

Wonderful, thanks! :)

I've come off my mountain bike on wet tram tracks and have come off my hybrid on ice. Unfortunately, accidents can happen whatever you're riding, particularly if you use shoes that clip into the pedals. Don't discount hybrid bikes - I think one would be the best fit for what you'll be using the bike for, and you'll end up finding a mountain bike slow and hard work. Hybrid tyres can be changed to wider, more grippy versions, making it very different from bikes with the very narrow road-type tyres. Some hybrids are designed to be more chunky and stable, such as this one, priced near to your budget http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/urban-bikes-c4/hybrid-rigid-c30/schwinn-sporterra-hybrid-bike-2012-p9430

That looks very similar to a 29er (on which you can fit road tyres of course)

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/mountain-bikes-c1/29ers-c14/gt-timberline-2-29er-mountain-bike-2014-p8336

The hybrid I borrowed from cycleboost on the other hand had 22c tyres, at about 60psi and weighed about 18kg (might be a slight exaggeration, but not much).

The geometry was not ideal for recovering from the slip on the tram track, in fact the bike felt a bit twitchy in general.

The OP hasn't said whether the route in question would even involve the tram tracks, so this aside might be totally pointless.

I have a £200 commuter bike, it's less likely to be nicked, it doesn't matter that my maintenance schedule is (lets says) relaxed and the difference between a £200 and a £800 in effort to pedal up a hill isn't really that much.

The expensive bike (and I know, £800 is really only mid range, it could be thousands) weighs about 4kg less than the cheap one. I weight 80kg. You do the maths on the total % difference.

I have a £200 bike (hybrid) and an £800 Giant (tourer, very thin tyres) and the difference in effort taken to get up a hill is very noticeable!

Perhaps it is because I don't weigh 80kg.

Yeah, but that's apples and oranges, different type of bike entirely.

I'm talking about the difference between £200 and £800 bikes of the same type.

Yeah, but that's apples and oranges, different type of bike entirely.

I'm talking about the difference between £200 and £800 bikes of the same type.

Ah, OK. I see what you mean.

I still can't see why some people prefer riding mountain bikes or even hybrids (on roads) on comfort grounds, though. It's like being pulled down onto the road by suckers. The only advantage is the shock absorbers on rough roads.

Ah, OK. I see what you mean.

I still can't see why some people prefer riding mountain bikes or even hybrids (on roads) on comfort grounds, though. It's like being pulled down onto the road by suckers. The only advantage is the shock absorbers on rough roads.

One advantage of a mountain bike is you can have one bike for on and off road. Considerably less punctures too!

One advantage of a mountain bike is you can have one bike for on and off road. Considerably less punctures too!

I never get punctures on my road bike!

And riding an all-terrain bike on a road is hell. I wouldn't bother. I'd rather walk!

Riding a road bike through a park on a kerb guarantees walking the rest of the way...

Riding a road bike through a park on a kerb guarantees walking the rest of the way...

True. I suppose I'm lucky that I tend to cycle in the middle of nowhere where there are no trams and no parks.

More proper cycle lanes needed throughout the land....

I've had my (mountain) bike for 18 months and only had 2 punctures (within a month of each other :loopy: ), and I have done 3000+ miles in that time. None recently, but I do have slime inner tubes now.

I've never ridden a road bike, so I can't make comparisons. The roads on my way the work are terrible in places.

Got my bike from decathlon, and I would definitely recommend them. Its done me well, despite minimal upkeep, it's paid for itself (£250) many times over. I use it to commute to work.

Wow how much do you weigh ?. I do around 60 miles a week, ride every day, mostly in and around the city center. And I have lost count of the inner tubes i have had to chuck away. The amount of punctures I have had in eighteen months must be in the thirties or forties.

Mind you i do weigh Fifteen stone so my bike (and tires) have a lot to cope with:hihi::hihi:

I weigh about 13 stone, and do about 40 miles a week, and I get a puncture about once every 4 months I reckon (on the 29er or mountain bike).