Sick of Speeding Motorists

I'm heartily sick of motorists, whether they be in a car, van, truck, bus or on a bike speeding through Totley on Baslow Road out to the peak district - there are 2 schools well sign posted right on this road and it is so dangerous!!

The stretch of road from Totley rise shops to the Cross Scythes is a 30 limit but some are going at least 50!!

I'm tempted to put on a high visibility jacket and hold a hair dryer (which might be mistaken for a speed gun) pointing towards traffic to get them to slow down - is this legal or will I get in trouble for impersonating a police officer? Any ideas on how to get people to slow down would be much appreciated.

Petition for speed cameras. Not only will it slow people down it will create endless threads from folks complaining about speed cameras.

Two birds one stone :hihi:

I'm heartily sick of motorists, whether they be in a car, van, truck, bus or on a bike speeding through Totley on Baslow Road out to the peak district - there are 2 schools well sign posted right on this road and it is so dangerous!!

The stretch of road from Totley rise shops to the Cross Scythes is a 30 limit but some are going at least 50!!

I'm tempted to put on a high visibility jacket and hold a hair dryer (which might be mistaken for a speed gun) pointing towards traffic to get them to slow down - is this legal or will I get in trouble for impersonating a police officer? Any ideas on how to get people to slow down would be much appreciated.

You never ever speed then?

I'm tempted to put on a high visibility jacket and hold a hair dryer [...] is this legal or will I get in trouble for impersonating a police officer?

To answer very literally, you're not impersonating a police officer. You're just behaving a bit mental. That'll stop .... what? Only a small proportion of the traffic that you dislike.

If you're serious, then organise people together and stick it to the council day-in and day-out until they take notice. Persevere persevere and persevere some more. Easier said than done.

You won't get imprisoned but you might get sectioned

Q1. How do you know they're going at 50? It's very hard to judge someone's speed when you're stood at the side of the road.

Q2. Have there been any accidents on this stretch? I don't recall any being mentioned on here.

Have there been many accidents? Unless there have the best traffic calming likely to be available would be a smiling/scowling face speed sign. There's already a very prominent light controlled pedestrian crossing by the Cross Scythes for the schoolchildren.

A major part of the danger is from sight lines being obscured by parked cars. I use this road daily as a motorist or jogger and would say the section from the section where Mickley Lane joins, curving past the Co-op, and then past the library, is the most dangerous. At that point elderly pedestrians have great difficulty crossing safely. As for U-turning motorists leaving the Co-op....!!

However, I believe the Totley Residents Association has been campaigning about this section of road for years and wanted another pedestrian crossing near the Co-op. Councillors are well aware of the issue and have raised it to get some form of help, but it's not seen as a priority at present. Sadly, it needs casualties to prove a case!!

Edited by 1978
Expanded

You could always buy some of these items of clothing:

http://www.animaldelights.co.uk/category/Equestrian,i.html

Q1. How do you know they're going at 50? It's very hard to judge someone's speed when you're stood at the side of the road.

Q2. Have there been any accidents on this stretch? I don't recall any being mentioned on here.

1. As a motorist using the road I can confirm that some vehicles do go very fast down this stretch as I've been overtaken more than once when myself slightly over the limit! (When overtaken quickly in a limited zone I check the speedo just to ensure I've not let my speed drop to inconvenience other users.) Traffic speeds both up and down this stretch. If a traffic check were completed I'd be very surprised if a significant number weren't clocked at well over 40, and many at 50.

2. I don't recall hearing of any recent accidents on this stretch.

Which proves that drivers regularly break the limit, but by good luck, driving skill, or the evasive action of others, they have avoided accidents - but it's probably only a question of time! When that accident occurs it's by no means guaranteed to be speed that was the cause, although it will contribute to the severity.

I don't think you have much hope in today's world where people are in such a rush all the time.

Not just Totley Rise, we get similar numpties through Unstone.