Cat in traffic accident

On Saturday 23 January, in the afternoon, I saw a cat hit by a car. The car drove off without stopping. I stopped, stroked the cat and spoke soothingly to her, but I think he or she was already dead. I moved the poor thing off the road as I didn't want her to get hit again.

The accident happened on Slayleigh Lane, in Fulwood, very near to the squash club.

The cat concerned was a largish brown and chestnut coloured spotty tabby, I think. She was obviously well looked after, as she was well fed and her fur was lovely and clean. So sad.

I had nothing to wrap the cat up in so I asked one of the people on the road if they had a bin bag: I put the cat in carefully and made sure it was ok, and then the person tucked it into a corner of the garden, in the hope that we could find its owners.

Another driver, who had also seen the accident, stopped too. We knocked on several doors, but couldn't find anyone who knew where the cat might live.

I put notices up on a couple of trees on Slayleigh Lane but they've blown away in this stormy weather we've had. I'll put a couple more up this afternoon, but if anyone can think of anything else I can do to find out where this cat lived I'd be grateful. Her owners must be so worried.

Could you get the poor thing to a vets to see if its microchipped?

I don't have her: one of the people on the street took her in, in case they found where she lived. I live quite a way away.

I wish I'd thought of that at the time, it would have been a good idea.

thank you for doing what you did Peacock Lady, it was kind of you to stop for her, I hope her owners take comfort in that. Poor baby :(

I simply dont know how someone could hit a animal and not stop, it is disgusting and have had a few cats killed in similar curcumstances. Disgusting humans and wish i could have a friendly chat ! :twisted:

I simply dont know how someone could hit a animal and not stop, it is disgusting and have had a few cats killed in similar curcumstances. Disgusting humans and wish i could have a friendly chat ! :twisted:

Whilst I agree that if someone knowingly hits an animal and doesn't stop are disgusting humans!! not all hits are known to drivers unfortunately..

A friend of mine was once delivering some wedding invitations to another friends house on Withens Avenue (off Middlewood Road) and as she was driving up the road looking for somewhere to park she thought she had hit something but she didn't see anything, anyway she got out of the car and she went up and down the road, looking under cars and in ginnels etc. and couldn't see anything but she did say the road was full of pot holes and put it down to that... the next day my friend (the one getting married) said that one of her neighbours cats had been hit by a car and was at the vets, my friend who was driving instantly thought it was her and she was mortified! she went straight to the house that the cat belonged to and apologised to the owners and explained that she got out and looked everywhere and put it down to pot holes.. LUCKILY the cat survived with a broken leg and a bit of fur missing and my friend sent them a cheque to cover the cost of the vet bills..

This was 7yrs ago and my friend has still not got over it... We all make a joke if we know she's coming to one of our houses and say 'lock your cats and dogs up, she's coming in the car' and she hates it..

I don't think the driver of the car which hit the poor cat knew what had happened: if they did, they would have swerved a bit, or something, I am sure. So I don't fault them for not stopping.

I've been back to Slayleigh Lane and have put up signs saying what happened and giving my email address, so that the owners can get in touch if they see them. If they want to. It's so sad.

I knocked on the door of the house which took the cat in but there was no answer, so I couldn't take it to a vet to get scanned for microchips, but I will have another go tomorrow. I suspect they'll have disposed of it by now, though.

Thank you all for being so nice about this. It's just awful, isn't it? I keep thinking of the cat's family, and knowing how worried they'll be. I do hope they see my signs, at least.

Whilst I agree that if someone knowingly hits an animal and doesn't stop are disgusting humans!! not all hits are known to drivers unfortunately..

A friend of mine was once delivering some wedding invitations to another friends house on Withens Avenue (off Middlewood Road) and as she was driving up the road looking for somewhere to park she thought she had hit something but she didn't see anything, anyway she got out of the car and she went up and down the road, looking under cars and in ginnels etc. and couldn't see anything but she did say the road was full of pot holes and put it down to that... the next day my friend (the one getting married) said that one of her neighbours cats had been hit by a car and was at the vets, my friend who was driving instantly thought it was her and she was mortified! she went straight to the house that the cat belonged to and apologised to the owners and explained that she got out and looked everywhere and put it down to pot holes.. LUCKILY the cat survived with a broken leg and a bit of fur missing and my friend sent them a cheque to cover the cost of the vet bills..

This was 7yrs ago and my friend has still not got over it... We all make a joke if we know she's coming to one of our houses and say 'lock your cats and dogs up, she's coming in the car' and she hates it..

One of mine was left in the road and ran over for hours on end until i found out and got her but there wasnt much left thst is people for you !

I'm glad to say the owner saw the signs I put up this afternoon and has got in contact with me. It was all very sad, but I am glad they now know what happened to their lovely cat. Thanks, all, for your support today.

It must have been horrible news for the owners, but in the long run its better than them never knowing what had happened to their pet.

Good on you Peacock Lady, for caring enough to go to so much trouble.