Advice needed cat not wanting to go outside

Hi

2 months ago I adopted a cat from the wonderful people at the cat shelter.

She is 2 and very timid although she is now much more confident indoors.

I have kept her in for the first month or so but she is very active,gets restless and I feel she needs to spend some time outside,she also obsesses about food and is constantly "asking" for more but I only feed her the correct amount as she has already gained weight.

Anyway I let her outside for the first time and it went well she stayed out for an hour or so and came back fine much more relaxed and I think it did her good.

However last week she got into a bit of a stand of with one of the local cats and she is cleverly petrified of it and now does not want to go out at all.

I have a cat flap which she is happy to use but now when I put her out she just comes straight back in!

I can lock it so it won't let her back.

What do you think should I just put outside and let her back in after a while by locking it for that time?

I really do think it would be healthier for her to go outside as for a while before I got her she lived outdoors but the only way I can get her to go out currently is forcing her.

She is also not particularly keen on being carried so walking her round the garden is not really an option.

Any advice gratefully received.

I adopted a cat that had been a stray and living outside for nearly 2 years. I wondered if the cat would not settle indoors with my other two cats and would prefer being outside all the time.

However, I've found that George prefers to stay inside and when he is out he doesnt go far and stays in the back garden.

So it may not necessarily be that your new cat has been scared by a bully cat, she may just want to be inside with you? Why not give her time to adjust and leave the cat flat open so she has the choice. After all she was timid to start with.

If she doesnt want to go out don't make her. If you want her to exercise get some toys like flying frenzy :)

Agree with Ami_j If she doesn't want to go out don't make her and please don't try to lock cat flap so she can't get indoors. If she's frightened she needs to be able to get back home where she feels safe.

Flying frenzy toys are fab too .... best place to buy is here: http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/shop/