Cairns Terriers - any experienced advice welcome

I have adopted a Cairns Terrier due to a death in the family and I would really appreciate any advice on how to care for her, also any grooming advice would be welcome too!

I already have a JRT so I know how little terriers can be little terrors!

But any advice would be great :) thanks

Please can you post back with a description of your Cairn's coat - texture, length and colour? We need to know that before commenting on coat care. Also, how old is she and is she used to sharing a home with other dogs? What is her character like?

Have a look on here. I also believe there is a link to the Cairn Forum.

Please can you post back with a description of your Cairn's coat - texture, length and colour? We need to know that before commenting on coat care. Also, how old is she and is she used to sharing a home with other dogs? What is her character like?

She's white, thick and long coat.

---------- Post added 22-01-2016 at 10:22 ----------

Have a look on here. I also believe there is a link to the Cairn Forum.

Thank you :)

Is the coat harsh or silky? Cairn Terriers are double coated; they should have a harsh, outer coat and a softer undercoat.

The correct grooming process is to hand strip the coat but it can only be done when it is ready to come out. This varies because all coats are different - some only need a full strip once a year, some twice a year. If the existing coat is soft and silky then your bitch has probably been clipped in the past and it is unlikely that you will be able to return her to the correct coat.

For the time being, keep her well brushed and combed - probably two or three times a week. If your Cairn has a harsh coat already, has plenty of undercoat and you wish to have her hand stripped you will need to find a groomer who is experienced in this. The only one I know of in Sheffield is Terri (Hardwick Hounds). Hand stripping is time consuming and hard work so expect to pay circa £40 for a full strip.

Is the coat harsh or silky? Cairn Terriers are double coated; they should have a harsh, outer coat and a softer undercoat.

The correct grooming process is to hand strip the coat but it can only be done when it is ready to come out. This varies because all coats are different - some only need a full strip once a year, some twice a year. If the existing coat is soft and silky then your bitch has probably been clipped in the past and it is unlikely that you will be able to return her to the correct coat.

For the time being, keep her well brushed and combed - probably two or three times a week. If your Cairn has a harsh coat already, has plenty of undercoat and you wish to have her hand stripped you will need to find a groomer who is experienced in this. The only one I know of in Sheffield is Terri (Hardwick Hounds). Hand stripping is time consuming and hard work so expect to pay circa £40 for a full strip.

Thank you very much for the advice, I have already spoken with a friend of mine who has got her booked in with a groomers based in Rotherham who apparently love these type of grooms!

It takes around 3.5hrs in total!! but doesn't cost as much as I thought it would :thumbsup:

Please can you tell me who it is that you are going to? Are you booked in for hand stripping? How much do they charge?

You don't mention the coat texture or whether she has undercoat. If it is harsh and strip-able and she undergoes a full strip she will be down to her 'vest' and that's not a good thing in the middle of winter. I think you would be better off letting her have a bath and tidy up then a full strip in the Spring. BTW, Cairns are never white but West Highland White Terriers are. Are you sure she not a Westie? The lighter coloured Cairns are wheaten.

Edited by ccit

Please can you tell me who it is that you are going to? Are you booked in for hand stripping? How much do they charge?

You don't mention the coat texture or whether she has undercoat. If it is harsh and strip-able and she undergoes a full strip she will be down to her 'vest' and that's not a good thing in the middle of winter. I think you would be better off letting her have a bath and tidy up then a full strip in the Spring. BTW, Cairns are never white but West Highland White Terriers are. Are you sure she not a Westie? The lighter coloured Cairns are wheaten.

She's a cairns terrier.. she was the only one in the litter that came out white and I already know about the white ones not being acknowledged by the kennel clubs as being a real cairns along with pure black and black and tan but she is definitely a cairns born to a cairns mother who was cream coloured and a cairns father who was brindle..

Her coat is really thick, long and matted, its rough to the touch and she has also come to me with fleas so I'd rather she gets it sorted out winter or not! she wont freeze to death and I can buy her coat to wear just like I do with my JRT. she looks miserable bless her..

I'll PM you details of groomers

If the coat is badly matted, the kindest thing you can do is to have your Cairn clipped. The coat cannot be hand stripped in a matted state and it would not be fair to her - it would be very painful indeed. Most groomers will not attempt de matting a dog if it is badly matted. Yes, a coat will be a good thing as she will be cold after her groom.

If the coat is badly matted, the kindest thing you can do is to have your Cairn clipped. The coat cannot be hand stripped in a matted state and it would not be fair to her - it would be very painful indeed. Most groomers will not attempt de matting a dog if it is badly matted. Yes, a coat will be a good thing as she will be cold after her groom.

Hi,

Just tried to PM you but it's saying you don't accept them.

I've called the groomers again and explained everything to them and they have said they'll just wait until I arrive and look at her and decide what is the best option. If she has to be fully clipped then so be it, there's other ways of making her warm and comfortable whilst being nice and clean and flea free!!

The salon is called Short Bark and Sides and is based in Thorpe Hesley, it's £15 per hour for hand stripping and my very close friend highly recommends them and sends her three spaniels there for grooming and the day care regularly.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing what poppy is going to look like once she's been done! at the moment she resembles a small version of dougal from the magic roundabout but also with face covering! :hihi:

It will be lovely for her to be clean and tidy - she will look and feel so much better. Matts are uncomfortable for the poor little mites - when close to the skin and tight they tug it. It can take hours to de mat a dog and groomers have to abide by animal welfare laws so clipping is often the only option.

From what you say, it sounds like a clip would be the best thing. She would only need to be away from you for a couple of hours. 3 1/2 hours is a long time on the table. I've been stripping my double coated breed for many years but I do it in short sessions so the dog does not get fed up. It can take me a couple of days or so to finish the job but it doesn't matter when doing it at home. Some double coated dogs hate the stripping process anyway.

Thank you for the information about the groomer - always useful to know.

Good luck with your Cairn - it sounds as if she will have a great new start with you and her new chum.