New 12 sided £1 coin is now in circulation

If you're too busy I can collect (for a nominal fee) and offload your burden.

Oh dear, counterfeiters actually copy the one pound coin. The metals used probably cost more than the value of the coin, in it's current free fall. Is this to create a vending machine manufacturing boom?

No, I think the change in shape is to prevent them rolling away under sofas and the like.

They were created so that the older ones amongst us can reminisce about threepenny bits

So is that 'threppenny' bits or 'thruppenny' bits?

Anyone know why the new coin is going to be dodecagonal. I thought coins had to have an odd number of sides in the shape of a Reuleaux polygon to facilitate being used in vending machines which read (constant) diameter … as in the 50p.

So is that 'threppenny' bits or 'thruppenny' bits?

Certainly pronounced as if thruppenny

---------- Post added 28-03-2017 at 10:02 ----------

Anyone know why the new coin is going to be dodecagonal. I thought coins had to have an odd number of sides in the shape of a Reuleaux polygon to facilitate being used in vending machines which read (constant) diameter … as in the 50p.

I don't know the answer, but could it just be that above a certain number of sides, the shape approaches that of a circle, to the point where

a) it rolls easily, and

b) the change in diameter, as it rolls, is so small that machines can still recognise what it is.

:huh:

Hmmm...

... well, it's obviously a cunning plan by them pesky Brexiters to reintroduce our pre-decimalisation currency... :suspect:

Certainly pronounced as if thruppenny

---------- Post added 28-03-2017 at 10:02 ----------

I don't know the answer, but could it just be that above a certain number of sides, the shape approaches that of a circle, to the point where

a) it rolls easily, and

b) the change in diameter, as it rolls, is so small that machines can still recognise what it is.

It were aiius threppenny bit when I were a lad thruppenny wert t' posh version.:P

Edited by TORONTONY

Oh dear, counterfeiters actually copy the one pound coin. The metals used probably cost more than the value of the coin, in it's current free fall. Is this to create a vending machine manufacturing boom?

apparently theres about 40 million fake £1 coins in circulation so its to get those out of circulation and apparently the new coin is to STOP fakes, it cant be copied (alledgedly)

https://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2017/03/uk-new-pound-coin-release-security-features/

It were aiius threppenny bit when I were a lad thruppenny wert t' posh version.:P

Probably a cross between the e and the u, but I'd say nearer u. Certainly not a clear "eh" sound. But thinking about it, the last e was silent, so I think I'll go for thrupny