Toyota Yaris help

Hi My Toyota Yaris has got a slight problem with the engine light , it drives perfect but the engine light refuses to go off, I've checked maf sensor that's ok, changed oil and oil filter, air filter, brakes, all ok,pistons firing on all cylinders, I am at a loss as to what else to check so I'm hoping someone on here may be able to give me some tips, money is short so I can't get a diagnostic at the moment so any idea's would be much appreciated :)

I had a warning light on my Renault, drove fine for years.

Guest sibon
I had a warning light on my Renault, drove fine for years.

It was just warning you that you had bought a French car:)

I have an OBD2 scanner that can read the codes and reset the light, if thats any help to you..

I have an OBD2 scanner that can read the codes and reset the light, if thats any help to you..

Hi Ghostrider

my Yaris is 2001 I've looked for a socket to attach a code reader but can't find one , I'm looking on utube in case I've missed it , will get back to you

changed oil and oil filter, air filter, brakes

You changed the brakes to solve a engine management light??

http://www.outilsobdfacile.com/location-plug-connector-obd/Toyota-Yaris

Needs a diagnostic though otherwise you'll constantly throw money at the problem and be replacing what could be OK parts.

It might drive fine, but the light is telling you something is wrong and could be causing unseen damage or cause premature wear. A faulty MAF for example could make the car run richer, unburnt fuel could soot up other sensors and give you a bigger repair bill further down the line.

Edited by alchresearch

I have to say, I have a big 'downer' on engine management lights and others suddenly illuminating. In every scenario I've come across, it's not anything to do with the problem indicated, but to do with the sensor itself or wiring to it. But that's just 'my' experience.

You changed the brakes to solve a engine management light??

No no I was just listing the things I've done lol

---------- Post added 27-03-2017 at 11:20 ----------

Hi Ghostrider

my Yaris is 2001 I've looked for a socket to attach a code reader but can't find one , I'm looking on utube in case I've missed it , will get back to you

Right I've found the socket for the code reader and going to invest in one , will let you know how I get on :)

Right I've found the socket for the code reader and going to invest in one , will let you know how I get on :)

Just a word of warning. Buying code readers is a bit of a minefield. I ended up buying two because the first one I bought didn't read the 'codes' I needed.

You might be as well just someone read your codes instead of investing in a code reader ,like pete says some won't do everything ,I did a guys Clio couple of weeks back as he bought a reader and it won't do what he wanted it to do

Even if you have a code reader that works with your car will it with your next one ?