Why do people read the Daily Mail or Daily Express ?

Can anyone explain a big mystery for me ?

Why do people read the Daily Mail or the Daily Express* ?

This is a serious question. I always assumed people read papers to find out what was going on in the world, and by definition this presumes unbiased reporting. But nobody could say the Daily Mail or the Daily Express fall into that category.

Do their readers just read these papers for confirmation their views and opinions of the world are "correct" ?

How many Daily Express / Daily Mail readers think their papers gives them unbiased coverage of the news ?

How many non Tories (or Remain voters) read the Daily Express or the Daily Mail ?

* I exclude the Daily Telegraph from this because the news coverage in that paper is reasonably unbiased, though, obviously, its editorials tend to be.

The Daily Mail and Daily Express political bias goes back a long way.....

Apparently The Mail is no longer deemed a reliable source by Wikipedia !

Daily Express headline from 20 Feb 2017 :

"Don`t block our EU Exit!"

Now, you don`t have to be a post graduate student of politics to know that is not unbiased. In fact it isn`t even news......

Edited by Justin Smith
History.....

It's almost impossible to find a neutral news source.

They are all as bad as each other, their sole role is to make money for the owners. Genuine news comes a poor second.

Angel1.

I know people at work who read the Mail...why someone should buy a paper that consistently and constantly abuses them is anyone's guess....must be a masochist

This is a serious question. I always assumed people read papers to find out what was going on in the world, and by definition this presumes unbiased reporting. But nobody could say the Daily Mail or the Daily Express fall into that category.

Do their readers just read these papers for confirmation their views and opinions of the world are "correct" ?

How many Daily Express / Daily Mail readers think their papers gives them unbiased coverage of the news ?

How many non Tories (or Remain voters) read the Daily Express or the Daily Mail ?

* I exclude the Daily Telegraph from this because the news coverage in that paper is reasonably unbiased, though, obviously, its editorials tend to be.

Would you rather they read the Sun or Mirror?

For pretty much the same reason I find myself reading some of the drivel you post:)

You could say exactly the same about the bible.

It's almost impossible to find a neutral news source.

The reason being that, in todays world there is no neutral position

---------- Post added 01-02-2017 at 23:43 ----------

Would you rather they read the Sun or Mirror?

The Sun and The Mirror are diametrically opposed politically.

It has lots of pictures and has lots of drivel stories. They have developed a style amd genres of their own but like the sun without the breasts.

I am capable of filtering out the DM speak. The journalism quality is very low and frequently mocked.

When they did the press inquiry then the DExpress admitted they just wait for other papers to publish then copy their stories. Its even more shockingly poor and nasty. the Sunday sport was better.

Read from multiple sources including all the broadhseets.

Know how to analyse and ask questions.

I forgot to add they know their audience.

Edited by 999tigger

I find the Daily Mail reports the news in a fair way.

I find the Daily Mail reports the news in a fair way.

Yep its really impartial and has no bias at all.... seriously

Yep its really impartial and has no bias at all.... seriously

All papers have bias but I think The Mail still reports the news without too much bias.

People usually read the paper which agrees with their views and so to get an unbiased report it would be necessary to read several and then evaluate what one has read and draw one's own conclusions.

Whilst not a paper I used to read Private Eye to get an insight into current affairs.