I got scammed by a plumber

Hi All,

this is my first message in this forum but I would need some advice is possible.

A few days ago I needed some work done in my bathroom and I found a person on gumtree that claimed to be a plumber.

The first problem I had was to unblock the trap that was stuck in the bathroom. For this supposedly easy job not only he didn't fix anything but he instead broke a number of tiles and he then left a complete mess in the bathroom without putting things back as they were/ He then disappeared after I had already paid him (unfortunately I was not present but I had my mum there that she did not understand much at her age).

Now the issue is this guy is nowhere to be found. He refused to give me an invoice (clearly tax evading) and I don't know his last name or his business registration (I doubt he is registered). He now refuses to answer my calls.

At first I called the police but they told me this is a civil matter (tax evasion and scumming people is not criminal now?) and I then called the citizen advice service for advice and they told me that I can get this person to court but I first need to find his home address to send a formal letter!

So my question is what can I do at this case? I find extremely hard to believe that someone can advertise widely on the internet to be something that clearly he/she is not and then go destroy people's property, get their money, refuse to give invoice or other details, tax evade and get away with it!

Edited by nikki-red

As CAB said you have to be able to find him. No behicle registration and the only contact you have is Gumtree? Am sure it would be possible to lure him out sometime in the next 12 months. Take photos as evidence of service performed.

Worth contacting Rogue Traders? I know it's a reality TV show but you might find he's scammed lots of people...

You do have a phone number though, which is a start.

Trading standards might be worth a try

Thanks for your advice. I will contact Rogue Traders and see what happens but for now I want to find a way to get my money back - not just shaming the guy.

999tigger: the only information I have are: First name, telephone number and bank account details :(

I have taken photos and everything.

As said above trading standards may know of him. He probably does the same to other people, so you only need to track him down by getting someone to hire him for another job. Not sure if gumtree will give you any details. Lesson learned for in future though. Have seen quite a few posts on here about cowboy tradesmen. When you find him, then sue him as per CAB. It is a civil matter.

As said above trading standards may know of him. He probably does the same to other people, so you only need to track him down by getting someone to hire him for another job. Not sure if gumtree will give you any details. Lesson learned for in future though. Have seen quite a few posts on here about cowboy tradesmen. When you find him, then sue him as per CAB. It is a civil matter.

Exactly, lesson learned :(

I was just desperate to be honest to find someone quickly.

Thanks for your advice guys/girls

For future reference....Don't pay any tradesman up front.

For future reference....Don't pay any tradesman up front.

I think better advice is booked a proper tradesman and not try to cheap out by using Gumtree. :roll:

Gumtree is the UK equivalent of Craigslist (based in US)

I think better advice is booked a proper tradesman and not try to cheap out by using Gumtree. :roll:

Gumtree is the UK equivalent of Craigslist (based in US)

You can get dodgy tradesmen on Trust a trader!

Thanks for your advice. I will contact Rogue Traders and see what happens but for now I want to find a way to get my money back - not just shaming the guy.

999tigger: the only information I have are: First name, telephone number and bank account details :(

I have taken photos and everything.

Sorry to hear of your experience. Just curious how did you get his bank account details? Also what did you need them for, was it a debit card payment or something. I hope you get everything sorted out.