No fault, no claim incidents - insurance premium increases

Some car insurance companies have been known to (by their own admission) increase your premium if you report a no fault, no claim 'incident'. This is usually things such as scratches/scuffs, minor vandalism, broken side mirrors, snapped aerial, bent wipers etc.

In general, things you don't claim for (because it's cheaper to replace them yourself rather than it affect your no claims discount) but may report because you have evidence or a witness as to who caused it (the police tell you to inform your insurer).

Very recently I (and another forum user) were accused of lying about this practise (it's happened to two people I know, including a close family member), even though I posted a quote from Admiral Insurance admitting that they do this, so I'm curious to hear if anyone else's premiums have increased due to a no fault, no claim incident?

someone my wife works with had her premium put up after a no fault/no claim accident. its an insurance company but what so you expect :suspect:

Some car insurance companies have been known to (by their own admission) increase your premium if you report a no fault, no claim 'incident'

So...

Person A's car gets a small dent from B

Person A trys to scam some money from B

As a result A's insurance goes up?

It wouldn't surprise me. I just found out that the insurance database has me down as being in an at fault accident whilst driving a car 16 months ago. I was in an accident but I was not driving or even in a vehicle at the time. It was determined to be the driver's fault, and a claim was settled in my favour.

But somehow they have it on record that I had an accident while I was driving. I haven't owned a car for nearly 4 years, and wasn't actually insured to drive any vehicles at that point in time :loopy:

So...

As a result A's insurance goes up?

I've no doubt that happens but that's not what I'm talking about.

An example is a side mirror being knocked off, the owner decides to pay for it themselves but discovers there was a witness who got the other vehicle's reg number. Upon reporting it to the police, the owner is told to report it to their insurance company.

Even though the owner didn't make a claim, their premium increases simply for reporting an incident.

Even though the owner didn't make a claim, their premium increases simply for reporting an incident.

It will do as insurance is based on risk assessment, if your getting your mirrors kicked off, on a risk point of view the insurance company will take that into account. The only time it doesn't affect anything is if your involved in a no fault accident and the other party's insurance take full responsibility.

That happened to me once when some berk decided to make my boot area about half a foot smaller than it should have been. My premiums never went up but I did have to declare it for 5 years.

It was on TV a few weeks ago a person who was in the house had their car hit, it was parked correctly so no fault on their part. However the insurance company put their premium up as statistically they are more likely to have another claim. Any excuse to rip customers off for more money, it is the innocent party that suffers.

It was on TV a few weeks ago a person who was in the house had their car hit, it was parked correctly so no fault on their part. However the insurance company put their premium up as statistically they are more likely to have another claim. Any excuse to rip customers off for more money, it is the innocent party that suffers.

That's how insurance works, it's all about risk assessment.

So...

??? I'm really confused about this. If it was damaged by B, then what is the scam?

---------- Post added 08-03-2016 at 22:11 ----------

It's as you say, statistically more likely that someone who's had an incident will have another... It's not ripping anyone off, it's maths.

A friend was overtaking a bus, only doing about 5mph, when a boy who had got off the bus ran in front and hit the car and bounced onto the road. No damage to the car, but the boy fractured his arm.

Police called, interviewed a few witnesses and took a statement. Told friend that it wasn't her fault, but she should report incident to insurance company and show documents at station.

A few days later the boy, with arm in sling, and his parents called round to friend's house with a bunch of flowers to say sorry for causing distress to friend.

Despite never making an insurance claim in all her years of driving, her next insurance renewal had doubled the premium.

but surely if you've just had an accident/claim then statistically your less likely to have another one. its like saying because you got struck by lightning your going to get struck again.

but surely if you've just had an accident/claim then statistically your less likely to have another one. its like saying because you got struck by lightning your going to get struck again.

Lightning is an act of God and accidents are the fault of human beings. Human beings are more likely to repeat the same mistakes again than a person is to be struck by lightning twice.