Problem with a car dealership

My sister bought a car from Evans Halshaw, and took out an extended warranty with it (which I think lasts for 12 months). It's still under warranty (she's only had the car 6 months).

She's had a number of problems with the car, and on multiple occasions had to take the car back (or having it towed back, by Evans Halshaw) to Evans Halshaw.

Well, it's broke down again, Evans Halshaw refused to tow it this time (though it's still under the same warranty) and while I think they're going to fix it, they're also refusing to give my sister a courtesy car this time (on previous occasions, they did provide one).

My question is, does their extended warranty obligate them to:

a. Collect the car if it's broken down?

and

b. Provide a courtesy car, while it's being repaired?

Thanks.

and

Ask your sister to grab the extended warranty contract and check the relevant clauses?

Besides, that car sounds to me like it may constitute "goods not of merchantable quality", if it keeps breaking down (unless the breakdowns are attributable to your sister's driving?), so perhaps she should get Evans Halshaw to change it instead of (manifestly vainly) trying to fix it?

My sister bought a car from Evans Halshaw, and took out an extended warranty with it (which I think lasts for 12 months). It's still under warranty (she's only had the car 6 months).

She's had a number of problems with the car, and on multiple occasions had to take the car back (or having it towed back, by Evans Halshaw) to Evans Halshaw.

Well, it's broke down again, Evans Halshaw refused to tow it this time (though it's still under the same warranty) and while I think they're going to fix it, they're also refusing to give my sister a courtesy car this time (on previous occasions, they did provide one).

and

Thanks.

I have had extended warranties from Evans Halshaw and it does not cover collection or a courtesy car. As its now over 6 months I can see why they are no longer happy to pay for this. However, if its a stubborn problem that has re-occured. They should pick up the vehicle as their repair would come with a guarantee.

Yea you'll have to check the paperwork and fine print, some extended warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on.

It's also worth digging out all the paperwork relating to the previous repairs it's had done, they should have provided some to explain what work has been carried out.

I hope the adverse publicity makes them get thier finger out!!!!

I hope the adverse publicity makes them get thier finger out!!!!

Don't be too quick to judge. We only have one side of the story, and not all warranties are provided by the dealer themselves.

I recall a car that had repeated electrical faults. When the electric windows failed it was discovered that the car had been under water during the Sheffield flood and had been valeted and then dried out in a paint shop oven. The liability would depend on who was the owner when the car was recovered from the water.

Just wanted to quickly thank everyone for their advice on this thread.

The car has been towed to EH and is being fixed. I've not got the full details of what's going on with it though. I get the impression (and knowing my sister) it was a bit of rash purchase. May have been better getting something privately (that would be my choice; I hear too many bad things about dealers). Anyhow, will keep you posted with any updates.

Thanks once again for all you advice.

Don't be too quick to judge. We only have one side of the story, and not all warranties are provided by the dealer themselves.

I recall a car that had repeated electrical faults. When the electric windows failed it was discovered that the car had been under water during the Sheffield flood and had been valeted and then dried out in a paint shop oven. The liability would depend on who was the owner when the car was recovered from the water.

The liability to the person who bought the car still sits with the retailer. They can then pursue the person/company where they got the car, but they can't just pass the liability on it. They sold it as fit for purpose and the consumer sales act governs that sale.

The liability to the person who bought the car still sits with the retailer. They can then pursue the person/company where they got the car, but they can't just pass the liability on it. They sold it as fit for purpose and the consumer sales act governs that sale.

Not so. The Sale of Goods Act will give reasonable protection for goods sold. So provision would depend on how old the vehicle was and what could reasonably be expected from it. But the Sale of Goods Act doesn't cover for the actions of the purchaser or the misuse of the product.

6 months on a used car would seem adequate.

An extended warranty is a piece of paper. It is an insurance policy on certain parts of a car under rather strict conditions. It certainly isn't the same as a liability on behalf of the retailer. I suspect that Evans Halshaw have a pretty good idea of where their responsibility starts and finishes.

Edited by foxy lady

Not so. The Sale of Goods Act will give reasonable protection for goods sold. So provision would depend on how old the vehicle was and what could reasonably be expected from it. But the Sale of Goods Act doesn't cover for the actions of the purchaser or the misuse of the product.

6 months on a used car would seem adequate.

An extended warranty is a piece of paper. It is an insurance policy on certain parts of a car under rather strict conditions. It certainly isn't the same as a liability on behalf of the retailer. I suspect that Evans Halshaw have a pretty good idea of where their responsibility starts and finishes.

It would depend entirely on the age of the car and the value of it as to how long it's reasonable to expect the sale of goods etc to apply. What might be reasonable for an old Fiesta, is probably not going to be reasonable for a en demonstrator Audi or Merc for example... as ever with this sort of thing the devil is in the details.

It would depend entirely on the age of the car and the value of it as to how long it's reasonable to expect the sale of goods etc to apply. What might be reasonable for an old Fiesta, is probably not going to be reasonable for a en demonstrator Audi or Merc for example... as ever with this sort of thing the devil is in the details.

No one needs an extended warranty on a vehicle that's still under manufacturers warranty.