Sheffield forum party manifesto

if we were to stand as a independent party and run in the next election what would you propose to put in the party manifesto? ill kick of with ringfencing the nhs and taxing the rich. easy init now lets hear your proposals

if you get banned from SF you have all benefits removed if applicable and are taxed at 50% for the next year. :D

PR, then we could hold the balance of power, a strict spending limit and then the Tories would not have a massive advantage.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/feb/08/conservatives-face-possible-inquiry-after-claims-of-byelection-overspend

PMQs should be an actual time for answering questions.

Councils should raise their own money, but be responsible for less, with local poll/income tax or something similar.

PR, then we could hold the balance of power, a strict spending limit and then the Tories would not have a massive advantage.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/feb/08/conservatives-face-possible-inquiry-after-claims-of-byelection-overspend

PMQs should be an actual time for answering questions.

Councils should raise their own money, but be responsible for less, with local poll/income tax or something similar.

The reason councils don't raise all their own money is so that money for public services can be progressively redistributed from richer areas to poorer ones.

AV, which is well short of PR has been rejected emphatically by the people.

We have a strict spending limit for elections. I fails to see the advantage for the Conservatives. The fact that suspicion of overspend in one by-election is being investigated is surely an illustration that these rules are being enforced.

Myself I would like the tax system radically simplified.

Tax income and little else. Keep a high threshold. Scrap NI and put income tax up to compensate.

It makes zero sense to me to tax the poor and then hand them money back in in-work benefits. Makes them look like charity cases when they wouldn't need handouts if the tax system was reformed.

Tax property, with no exceptions, get rid of VAT as it's a non-progressive tax. Nationalise all "development" land and build appropriate housing based on what the country needs rather than which returns the greatest profit.

Plus, other stuff.

Tax property, with no exceptions, get rid of VAT as it's a non-progressive tax. Nationalise all "development" land and build appropriate housing based on what the country needs rather than which returns the greatest profit.

Plus, other stuff.

Are you really not going to make an exception on property tax for pensioners?

I agree on VAT.

.Myself I would like the tax system radically simplified.

Tax income and little else. Keep a high threshold. Scrap NI and put income tax up to compensate.

It makes zero sense to me to tax the poor and then hand them money back in in-work benefits. Makes them look like charity cases when they wouldn't need handouts if the tax system was reformed.

That's quite interesting.. started to think about all the other small (some not so small) taxes that we pay along the way. What if they were all rolled into one i.e. one tax on income. How high do you think the income tax level would need to be set to cover our (the country) running costs?

Is there any research or figures on this?

That's quite interesting.. started to think about all the other small (some not so small) taxes that we pay along the way. What if they were all rolled into one i.e. one tax on income. How high do you think the income tax level would need to be set to cover our (the country) running costs?

Is there any research or figures on this?

I think the state spends about 40% of GDP on a long term average.

But if we didn't tax the poor so much, we wouldn't have to give them as many handouts. We'd also simplify and therefore slim down government itself.

I would think 0% for the first ~£10k then climbing to 40% at about twice the national average income. Although it might have to be higher.

People in the middle would pay about the same in income tax as they do now in total tax. Lower incomes would pay less.

There are all manner of problems to overcome with this approach. It would have to be a long term goal achieved incrementally.

Removing NI from lower incomes by rolling NI and income tax together would be a good start.

VAT is the tax I really loathe, but we'd have to come to that in time.

Edited by unbeliever

if we were to stand as a independent party and run in the next election what would you propose to put in the party manifesto? ill kick of with ringfencing the nhs and taxing the rich. easy init now lets hear your proposals

I wouldn't worry about policy. Your party would have as much chance as Scargill's.:hihi:

What percentage of GDP should we be spending on the NHS?

Who's rich and at what rate should we tax them?

AV, which is well short of PR has been rejected emphatically by the people.

You must use a different dictionary to me?

Increase VAT and do away with all other taxes, you earn it, so you spend it, which means you pay more tax.