Current employer asking for new work place contract

Hiya

I've recently have been offered a new job with quite a good amount of money.

My current employer told me that he wants me to stay and he will match whatever the other company offered me as long as I'll show them the job offer letter with the per annum amount. Which is not a problem for me but the question is are they allowed to ask for it and then call them to confirm it?

It just seems a little bit ... I don't know how but I wouldn't like them to call the new employee and ask that. It just doesn't feel right..

Cheers :)

Delete all contact details from the offer, is the first thing I would do, otherwise they could contact them and Scr3w you over, bad rep etc.

Company's can be very vindictive when it comes to money.

And then they either match the offer or you move on.

Hiya

My current employer told me that he wants me to stay and he will match whatever the other company offered me as long as I'll show them the job offer letter with the per annum amount. Which is not a problem for me but the question is are they allowed to ask for it and then call them to confirm it?

It just seems a little bit ... I don't know how but I wouldn't like them to call the new employee and ask that. It just doesn't feel right..

Do you really want to continue to work for a company that only values you when there is competition for your services? And the fact that they want you to prove it suggest very little trust between you and them.

What happens if they call your new employer and you decide to take the new job...not a really good start between you and them is it?

All the best with what you decide to do.

Hiya

Say you want 10% more and no contacting otherwise no deal and take the other job.

---------- Post added 27-01-2015 at 10:52 ----------

Do you really want to continue to work for a company that only values you when there is competition for your services? And the fact that they want you to prove it suggest very little trust between you and them.

What happens if they call your new employer and you decide to take the new job...not a really good start between you and them is it?

Many companies are underhand. I got headhunted by 2 companes during last position. They used every trick to get one up on competition.

In this case I was loyal and didnt leverage against my employer. But its usually a bad strategy. The OP should look after his own interests, and get as many favourable terms as he can from this deal.

I wouldn't get involved in the ins and outs of the technicalities ,there will be a be a procedure regarding pay rise,so your boss needs to do what's he,s got to do and rightly so

. It's pretty black and white... If you like where you are.. Stay,...if you don't.. Move on.

I wouldn't get involved in the ins and outs of the technicalities ,there will be a be a procedure regarding pay rise,so your boss needs to do what's he,s got to do and rightly so

. It's pretty black and white... If you like where you are.. Stay,...if you don't.. Move on.

He should insist on no contact.

What Steve says :)

My nephew was recently head hunted and his old company asked him to stay. The new company offered a lot more travelling - which he wanted - including regular trips to Australia, plus what would be a 60% wage increase.

When he spoke with his current company boss when they asked him to stay they told him they would match the wage on offer. Nephew said plus a bit more. He agreed 10% without hesitation. Nephew then said he wanted to be on a par with his current boss and not work for her. Agreed. He then said he wanted to the extra travel. Agreed.

I think they wanted him to stop! I told nephew that they had obviously been seeing what they could get away with for ages and he had let them! Said it will make any future reviews interesting.

What Steve says :)

My nephew was recently head hunted and his old company asked him to stay. The new company offered a lot more travelling - which he wanted - including regular trips to Australia, plus what would be a 60% wage increase.

When he spoke with his current company boss when they asked him to stay they told him they would match the wage on offer. Nephew said plus a bit more. He agreed 10% without hesitation. Nephew then said he wanted to be on a par with his current boss and not work for her. Agreed. He then said he wanted to the extra travel. Agreed.

I think they wanted him to stop! I told nephew that they had obviously been seeing what they could get away with for ages and he had let them! Said it will make any future reviews interesting.

60% payrise? That sounds alright.

He should insist on no contact.

They might not even phone them... Especially if you ask them...but there again if your not going to go with the new employer... What's it matter if they do???

They might not even phone them... Especially if you ask them...but there again if your not going to go with the new employer... What's it matter if they do???

They shouldn't even see the letter let alone be allowed to contact the firm. It's confidential between two private parties. The details of the offer and who made it are private, unless the employee chooses to disclose.

Now they've been informed of an offer Its his current bosses move to either make an offer, accept a resignation or do nothing. If the boss believes its a rouse to get more money, and the employee leaves for a competitor, he's going to look pretty stupid!

Edited by ubermaus

I recently started a new job late last year. At the time my then current employers asked me to stay and were willing to pay whatever I asked for (obviously within reason) - offering plenty more money than my new job would get me.

I was happy to stay but asked them to provide the offer in writing before I even considered turning the new job down. Turned out the company directors had no idea which direction they wanted the business to go and couldn't agree to my terms in time, so I left.

In your situation, turn the whole thing back on your current employer and ask them to prove they are able to match the salary in the first place. Once you have an updated offer in your hands from them and you do actually want to stay, then provide the proof they ask for as it will no longer matter what your new would be employers find out by then.

i went through something similar with my previous employer. They clearly want to check that the offer is genuine not something you have whipped up at home, which isn't unreasonable.

However, in the end i decided it was just time to go and didn't bother with all that. My previous employer was very nice, full of wonderful people but the environment was completely bonkers and no amount of money would have changed that. So I went.

On the whole I'm pleased I did. I've done stuff I wouldn't otherwise have done and learned lots of new things.

On the whole, I think if you get as far as an offer then you should go, especially as you have told your employer. You will always be wondering if you should have taken the job and they will always be wondering how long you are going to stay