It is now Two Thousand and Fifty .

I've been fairly open on here about my background, so I am privately educated. I got a scholarship as my parents aren't rich, we weren't poverty stricken either, but not in anyway able to pay private school fees. My school was a genuine charity, over half the students there were on scholarships or assisted places as the school relied on donations from ex-students to help cover funding gaps. It was a school for bright pupils and not rich ones if that makes any sense? The rich ones were simply fleeced for the pleasure of attending. Of course not all rich kids are muppets, same as not all poor ones are bright I was just saying that if a rich parent wants to subsidise education for poorer pupils then carry on. So my experience of private school was largely excellent as I spent time with a very wide range of kids with vastly different backgrounds, I full accept most private schools are not like this at all hence why I'm not sure I'd be happy with with kid going to one.

I don't have a low view of privately educated people at all, I just don't think it's the be all and end of that's it. Strangely going to army college coming from a private school made me the massive exception. Less than 10% of us came from private schools.

---------- Post added 28-03-2017 at 16:03 ----------

I think it's a fair bit different now - I sometimes gauge it by the amount of mustard and red cordaroys I see but I'll admit it's not very scientific. A know a lot of public schools have a significant ATC (? - not sure of the exact name) presence.

But, I digress. 2050. To a degree it will led by what the planet is like. It will depend on what technical advances there are. Certain things have got faster, others not so much - our trains haven't got a deal faster in 40 years. I might be able to beam sky sports (from a cyborg Rupert murdoch)/ cat videos etc to my brain but my trip to work will take forever. It won't be a Star Trek like utopia.

Why should someone inherit a property, in fact any significant amount of money, without paying any tax on it, when they haven`t done a shred of work for it, when the rest of us have to pay shed loads of tax for money we earn by working ? And the argument that it`s already had the tax paid on it is not logical, double tax is an everyday occurrence for all of us. You buy something with your taxed income, and pay VAT on it. So why should there be a different rule so some spoilt kid can get a free house and pay no tax on it.....

Well theres an argument as to why you pay VAT as well yes... but that's because it's had value added....

I never got anything like that when I was growing up. I had to work for it and it was hard. So whats so terribly wrong with wanting to give your children a help up in life? I you think that's not permissible then perhaps we should ban all sorts of gifts from the grandparents unless they are taxed as well..

It's 2050 and the world has achieved sustainability .

What will society be like ?

:huh:

Errm...

... I thought we were only supposed to put the clocks forward one hour? :confused:

One thing I'd like to do is restrict driving licences.

Right now, if you want a licence you can get one assuming you meet age, medical conditions and basic skill levels.

But we don't have a massive amount of road space. Nor do we have that much air to pollute. Or space to park them. So say by 2025 or whatever the Govt says it will cap the driving licences at some figure X.

Want a licence but none are available? Tough luck. Sorry but there you go. Of course if you do something that makes you lose your licence, then you go to the back of the queue.... so suddenly a totting up points ban is a real big deal...

It'll keep the car numbers down on the road, and reduce congestion and pollution. The flip side of course is people won't have licences... so we need to make allowances. If you job requires it then you get a dispensation - so doctors on call etc, field workers etc. The licence should be rather valuable. So if you choose to give up your licence, or don't have one, you get a) free bus and much reduced rail fares and b) £1000 a year (or suitable sum). You don't get that rebate if you lost your licence through crime though.

Sound unworkable? I think it could work, there will be a lot of trimming and tweaking needed but could something like that for 2050 be possible? Please note that I still expect you to require a licence for a self driving car.

Why should someone inherit a property, in fact any significant amount of money, without paying any tax on it, when they haven`t done a shred of work for it, when the rest of us have to pay shed loads of tax for money we earn by working ? And the argument that it`s already had the tax paid on it is not logical, double tax is an everyday occurrence for all of us. You buy something with your taxed income, and pay VAT on it. So why should there be a different rule so some spoilt kid can get a free house and pay no tax on it.....

Because that money has already been taxed at source.

Money will be of no significance.

They will be living by trade and barter, or on a hunter gatherer life style.

Emley Moor television mast will be being adored as a phallic symbol.

And in the wind, voices will be heard chanting,

'brexit means brexit' :D

It's 2050 and the world has achieved sustainability .

What will society be like ?

The rich will be a whole lot richer. The poor will be a lot poorer and there will be a whole lot more of them.

Think 'the hunger games' or 'Elysium.'

Meanwhile Jeremy Corbyn (or son of Jeremy,) will be holed up in a bunker somewhere still unsuccessfully trying to organise the revolution, and saying 'I told you so...'

Well theres an argument as to why you pay VAT as well yes... but that's because it's had value added....

I never got anything like that when I was growing up. I had to work for it and it was hard. So whats so terribly wrong with wanting to give your children a help up in life? I you think that's not permissible then perhaps we should ban all sorts of gifts from the grandparents unless they are taxed as well..

I agree, I support inheritance tax. We are not saying that you cannot amass wealth for your offspring, but lets tax it.

---------- Post added 28-03-2017 at 23:26 ----------

Considering that it will be the Millennials who will be in the driving seat. Will they push society into less competitive and a more cooperative social/economic arrangements ?

Will capitalism be the predominant economic system?

Disposable clothes and everyone wearing lycra, more capitalism I would suggest. They wont have a clue how to repair or reuse anything.

Guest sibon
One thing I'd like to do is restrict driving licences.

Right now, if you want a licence you can get one assuming you meet age, medical conditions and basic skill levels.

But we don't have a massive amount of road space. Nor do we have that much air to pollute. Or space to park them. So say by 2025 or whatever the Govt says it will cap the driving licences at some figure X.

Want a licence but none are available? Tough luck. Sorry but there you go. Of course if you do something that makes you lose your licence, then you go to the back of the queue.... so suddenly a totting up points ban is a real big deal...

It'll keep the car numbers down on the road, and reduce congestion and pollution. The flip side of course is people won't have licences... so we need to make allowances. If you job requires it then you get a dispensation - so doctors on call etc, field workers etc. The licence should be rather valuable. So if you choose to give up your licence, or don't have one, you get a) free bus and much reduced rail fares and b) £1000 a year (or suitable sum). You don't get that rebate if you lost your licence through crime though.

Sound unworkable? I think it could work, there will be a lot of trimming and tweaking needed but could something like that for 2050 be possible? Please note that I still expect you to require a licence for a self driving car.

Why not just limit which vehicles can drive on a given day. Many European cities have number plate based restrictions which they use when pollution gets too bad. We could do the same. Only cars with plates starting with A-J one day, K-Z the next.

Seems fairer than restricting licences.

Why not just limit which vehicles can drive on a given day. Many European cities have number plate based restrictions which they use when pollution gets too bad. We could do the same. Only cars with plates starting with A-J one day, K-Z the next.

Seems fairer than restricting licences.

Because people will just buy two cars if they can afford it and that means the wealthy get to drive all the time and the one car family only half the time.

Because people will just buy two cars if they can afford it and that means the wealthy get to drive all the time and the one car family only half the time.

Maybe all cars will be driverless electric vehicles that just arrive at your door when you need them.

As of 26th March 2017 the world population is estimated to be 7.9 billion.

It has been argued that the control of population growth requires greater attention than that given to climate change.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/04/climate-change-population-crisis-paris-summit.

There are a number of contraceptive methods available -including male and female sterilisation .

Will the millennials be able to tackle the politically thorny and morally difficult problem of controlling population growth ?

https://onlinedoctor.superdrug.com/birth-control-around-the-world/

Edited by petemcewan