Car Dealership spam emails

I won't mention which dealership it is, and I never really deal with dealerships on the whole anyway for their inflated prices and sales techniques.

However, my 9 year old car has recently had a recall for a possibly faulty part, so of course I contact the dealership as per my letter and book it in to be looked at. I give my details and am then asked for my email address, so I check and ask why they need this? I'm told it's just so they can email me a video of the underneath of my car they'll take whilst it's on the ramp. Sounds daft to me, but I say so long as it's not used for sending me sales rubbish that's fine. They say no no, just for the video.

Surprise, surprise - yesterday evening I receive a random junk email from them with a new car offer, I'm sure the first of many so I unsubscribed.

I'll be complaining to their manager and head office about it. But also thought I'd post this for your own information to not ever give out your email address even if they promise it's not for sales junk.

It just backs up my way of thinking that avoiding main dealerships is the way to go...

Edited by Bottletop

I refused to give my email to main dealer to avoid such examples like yours but now I get letters offering me their deals

You haven't consented to such communications so a formal complaint to the dealer principle is in order. Point out that unless they cease you will raise a complaint with the ICO.

There's often an "unsubscribe" link in the small print at the bottom of such annoying spam ads. Using these links has always worked for me – so far.

If I insisted that every single email I received was fully to my approval I'd never get anything useful done with my life.

I suggest that you use the delete function and forget that it ever happened. If that's not good enough, 1. Ring them up and nicely ask to be taken off the list, don't turn it into a big issue as they will think you're a bit simple, because you didn't 2. Press the unsubscribe button at the bottom of the email.

I know this to be true because once or twice a year our business gets an over the top ranty complaint from somebody threatening the ICO because they found time in their schedule to misread the business email laws but couldn't manage to find the big unsubscribe link on every promotional email, and our admin thinks that they are a bit simple. :)

If I insisted that every single email I received was fully to my approval I'd never get anything useful done with my life.

I suggest that you use the delete function and forget that it ever happened. If that's not good enough, 1. Ring them up and nicely ask to be taken off the list, don't turn it into a big issue as they will think you're a bit simple, because you didn't 2. Press the unsubscribe button at the bottom of the email.

I know this to be true because once or twice a year our business gets an over the top ranty complaint from somebody threatening the ICO because they found time in their schedule to misread the business email laws but couldn't manage to find the big unsubscribe link on every promotional email, and our admin thinks that they are a bit simple. :)

For those who found it too difficult to read in my OP ( :roll: ) I have used the unsubscribe button on the bottom of the email, however 1) It wouldn't be the first time that makes no difference, and 2) it's hardly the point.

If a business tells me one thing and does another, that's called lying - not a very professional way to make a living. Neither is sending out unwanted junk mail in the first place. If you think that's the way to go I'd say you are the simple one.

What business are you in Eric? Because with that attitude, you won't be getting business from me.

For those who found it too difficult to read in my OP ( :roll: ) I have used the unsubscribe button on the bottom of the email, however 1) It wouldn't be the first time that makes no difference, and 2) it's hardly the point.

If a business tells me one thing and does another, that's called lying - not a very professional way to make a living. Neither is sending out unwanted junk mail in the first place. If you think that's the way to go I'd say you are the simple one.

What business are you in Eric? Because with that attitude, you won't be getting business from me.

I'm only helping you to avoid being seen as being a bit, well you know. It's just an advertising email from somebody you do business with and your inbox isn't a precious virgin that's being despoiled. You don't seem the type to want any friendly insider comment though, and the internet is sitting up to listen now too, so please just send your ranty email to the dealer principal and forget I said anything. :)

PS, which bit of your OP should the hard of looking at, be looking at?

Edited by Eric Arthur