JAPS: an acceptable racial slur on BBC?

Hmm. So you feel comfortable insulting the British (my bold), but uncomfortable insulting Pakistanis, (my bold).:huh:

Not really, but if had put '****' the post would have been taken down by the moderators ... watch this post disappear within 5 minutes?

---------- Post added 10-03-2016 at 21:59 ----------

But they allow 'Brit' without ****, how racist is that?

They kinda earned it.

In two ways- By belonging to an ethnic group whose army commited mindless autrocities and for being Japanese? Not sure I'm comfortable with the second admission. We'll get rid of it shall we?

It's a racial slur because its considered a racial slur, that's how these things tend to work Ron. Google it.

Only by political correctness obsessed lefties .

Only by political correctness obsessed lefties .

Welcome to their world.

I don't think Jap was a racial slur - I think there was hatred of a nation we were at war with.

I hesitate to use the word P... on here (I've just got over a three day ban for mentioning a footballer in a post about a media whore), but I use the word regularly to refer to the shop run be pakistanis down the road from me. It's not borne of hatred of them, perhaps it is a colloquial expression, but it shouldnt be offensive: a simple diminutive. I do however understand the overtones from the past of p... bashng and the skinhead violent morons who used to do it.

---------- Post added 10-03-2016 at 22:39 ----------

would you be calling lots of japanese people japanese in the company of japanese people?

come on, im with Ron too (only about the 2nd time ever i might add) its an abbrieviation of the word Japanese, thats what it is, like Brits, like Aussies etc

The only way it becomes a racial slur is in what context its used, but then surely any word used in a racial context is then a racial slur? :suspect:

The full word Japanese could be if used in a racial context? "those japanese are slanty eyed buggers"? using the word japs doesnt make it any better or any worse, it means the same thing surely?

admittedly it is lazy its not a racial slur...on its own

I think it's 3, but I might be wrong.

---------- Post added 10-03-2016 at 22:40 ----------

Now if he'd said the Nips ... you might have had a point.

Here's the Wiki! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs

Isnt Nip simply a contraction of Nippon?

Not really, but if had put '****' the post would have been taken down by the moderators ... watch this post disappear within 5 minutes?

---------- Post added 10-03-2016 at 21:59 ----------

But they allow 'Brit' without ****, how racist is that?

You should've at least given it a go. You bottled it Judith.

Whether it be used during warmongering, drunken outbursts or playground tantrums, it's still a racial slur. How can war prevent it from being?

Whether it be used during warmongering, drunken outbursts or playground tantrums, it's still a racial slur. How can war prevent it from being?

Whatever...

Whatever...

I never saw you exit prematurely in your movies Ron.

As this thread appears to be generating a disproportionate amount of nastyness it's going to be closed. If you have a problem with that take it to the helpdesk.