MPs,now a 1.3% pay rise.

Surely they should have the same type of pay review body as other professions?

We only have one regulator for the energy sector, why not just have one pay review body that does all public sector employees?

Wouldnt that save money?

The people on the pay review bodies are generally selected to have a deep understanding of the job in question.

If you make them generalists, they're going to make crude, ill-informed decisions.

The people on the pay review bodies are generally selected to have a deep understanding of the job in question.

If you make them generalists, they're going to make crude, ill-informed decisions.

The pay review bodies do not know anything about each salary scale, they just set amount of the increase.

The pay review bodies do not know anything about each salary scale, they just set amount of the increase.

Should they pluck a number out of the air without understanding the specifics?

Sometimes the nature of a public sector job changes. Look at what nurses do now compared to what was expected of them even 20 years ago.

IPSA sets MPs pay. It's pretty low by international standards. And it's set by a link to average public sector pay so they actually can't pay themselves extra whilst cutting the pay for the rest of the public sector.

http://parliamentarystandards.org.uk/payandpensions/pages/default.aspx

The only way for MPs avoid these pay rises would be to take it out of the hands of IPSA and hand it back to MPs themselves.

Do you want to go back to MPs voting themselves pay rises whenever they feel like it?

Or perhaps we should go back to making them unpaid so that only rich people can afford to be an MP?

I know it's annoying, but their total remuneration didn't really go up when they got the last pay rise of 10%. They got a pension cut, and lost a rather hefty entitlement to "resettlement costs". They also got even tighter expenses rules.

Average public sector pay? REALLY?? OK, name the ones that got well above 1.3% over the last year or two? While you are at it tell us those in the public sector that get the same generous pensions the MP's get or indeed the over generous expenses?

I work in the public sector and my wages hasnt gone up over 1% for at least 5 years and I dont get the same pension or expenses as them.

---------- Post added 05-03-2016 at 20:24 ----------

Perhaps they should only pay the government MPs. Pay those in opposition half salary because they aren't making policy.

Perhaps they ought to only pay the front benchers the high wages, after all the back benchers are only voting fodder following the whips orders so they should get the average public sector pay

Average public sector pay? REALLY?? OK, name the ones that got well above 1.3% over the last year or two? While you are at it tell us those in the public sector that get the same generous pensions the MP's get or indeed the over generous expenses?

I work in the public sector and my wages hasnt gone up over 1% for at least 5 years and I dont get the same pension or expenses as them.

---------- Post added 05-03-2016 at 20:24 ----------

Perhaps they ought to only pay the front benchers the high wages, after all the back benchers are only voting fodder following the whips orders so they should get the average public sector pay

Did you read the link?

All the information is there.

The only way for MPs avoid these pay rises would be to take it out of the hands of IPSA and hand it back to MPs themselves.

Do you want to go back to MPs voting themselves pay rises whenever they feel like it?

Actually, thinking about it, yes.

Then they would have to face public criticism directly instead of hiding behind the skirts of a so called "independent" body and claiming that its THEIR fault that they are forced to take this inflation busting pay rise. A body it should be noted has so far managed to give its political pay masters salary increases that manage to be well above inflation whilst the rest of the public sector fall well below inflation and yet somehow its the "average" of public sector rises!!! With statisticss like that who needs lies?