Sacked for no reason

The fact of the matter is that, ACAS and evolving HR practice and whatnot, on-the-spot sacking with no reason given can and does happen.

Frequently as not, it will be down to a heat-of-the-moment occurrence (...which may be followed by hard-headed reticence to resolve the conflict fairly and amicably, once the blood pressure has reverted to normal).

Happened to me years ago...the out-of-court settlement was tidy ;)

Edited by L00b

Do you think several members of staff would be sacked for no (apparent) reason though? I find this a bit hard to believe.

Do you think several members of staff would be sacked for no (apparent) reason though? I find this a bit hard to believe.

As MobileB corrected me, I suspect their positions have been made redundant.

To the OP, can you update us at all?

As MobileB corrected me, I suspect their positions have been made redundant.

To the OP, can you update us at all?

Obviously, Steve, there is the issue of consultation aothough if there was less than 20 of them there is no statutory consultation period. The question then becomes was there a fair process, ie were all positions made redundant or just certain positions or only certain employees..... It is a bit of a minefield (and I wouldn't necessarily rely on the advisors on the ACAS helpline).