Non-paying client - What to do.

If the pictures form part of the site, I wouldn't do that. I agree with lots of the above. Give him a back up copy of the site (if this is what he has paid for, same with the domain...get is transferred to him) and put the rest down to experience and move on (BTW, you will not be the first or last to put trust in a client. Remember, in future, to formalise everything and make it clear what the client will and will not get).

As a bit of light relief...

(mind the language!)

All excellent advice. A bit of class never goes amiss (transfer the site).

I agree 100%. Get to work OP!

Seen it before!

I have replied to the client in detail, saying I will write-off my fees but want the money I have already paid out or I will remove the hosting. I know he has received work from the advertising. I have also stated that I will take down the website immediately and inform the relevant trade associations if I receive any further threats from him.

Seen it before!

I have replied to the client in detail, saying I will write-off my fees but want the money I have already paid out or I will remove the hosting. I know he has received work from the advertising. I have also stated that I will take down the website immediately and inform the relevant trade associations if I receive any further threats from him.

Nice work :):):):):):):)

Did you finally get payment?

I had a similar problem with a client and just chalked it up as a learning experience.

3 months later they were back after buying cheap spammy links and got sandboxed by Google.

They then agreed to pay old balance and now pay a month in advance for all work.

I don't do ad-words I think it's the biggest con going, I tried it about 4 years ago and monitored the stats myself and wouldn't use it again.

Did you explain to the customer the difference between being on page 1 and ad-words because in my eyes there's a difference.

I paid out a lot on SEO to get on page 1 and never got there, I spent 3/4 months working on the site myself and did it through my own efforts.

I don't do ad-words I think it's the biggest con going, I tried it about 4 years ago and monitored the stats myself and wouldn't use it again.

Did you explain to the customer the difference between being on page 1 and ad-words because in my eyes there's a difference.

I paid out a lot on SEO to get on page 1 and never got there, I spent 3/4 months working on the site myself and did it through my own efforts.

There is a role for both. Paying for ad words (based on your key words) will get you to the top of the ad word rankings immediately, but at a price. As you are learning, getting to the top of natural listings takes time and requires effort. Therefore ad words is useful for the short term and SEO is your medium to long term goal (negating the need to pay for ad words).

I got half of it back and learned a few lessons along the way.

---------- Post added 12-01-2015 at 23:29 ----------

I agree. There is much that people can do themselves regarding SEO and it is hard to quantify if you are paying someone else to do it for you.

It wasn't a dig, buddy, I know you haven't took it as such, but I just wanted to clear that up.

It is tough when working with people who are not tech savvy, I wasn't but asked a lot of questions and the guy who built my site helped me out no end, some people do just expect to throw cash at it (I did) and get on page 1, when we all know it doesn't work like that.

Best of luck buddy, I hope you get it sorted

Have you tried contacting a solicitor?

You can ring some for free, but not sure which ones.

But I understand your situation, you're being pulled both sides.

Thanks for the comments so far. I specified the website detail in a contract but not the Adwords work which 'evolved'. The social media stuff was done as a 'favour' to help with SEO. I have invoiced him and was fobbed-off until I took the site down temporarily. I'm willing to send the client the website (perhaps without all the free pictures I sourced as he didn't want to pay for any) as he has paid for it.

If I take any action it is likely to result in further threats and I would then be tempted to lock him out of his domain.

Is the amount that he owes you worth destroying the potential ongoing customer/client relationship?

It might already be too late, but if he's paid you £1000 and now owes you £50 for the adwords campaign, I'd write the £50 odd and pad the estimate the next time he asked for work.

As it stands, unless you can repair things any "next time" is likely to go to someone else.

Edit - You've already updated to say you got half of the invoice paid.

Play childish games,like... Ordering taxi,s and pizza,s to his house.. Knock a door run... Dog poo through the post box... Get some rope and tie his car to a through the towing eye to a lamp post.Put a milk bottle on the door handle,so when he opens it.. It,ll smash and make him jump ...glue a pound coin to the floor outside his house... Hide in the bushes and watch it all happen... Great fun...

That,ll get him back!

---------- Post added 19-01-2015 at 13:47 ----------

Also,something else you could do....

If you can get access inside his house... Sellotape stink bombs inside the door jarms when he,s not looking.... Do a poo without flushing and switch the water off at the stop tap...Or take the fuses out of the kettle,tv,everything.... Ha aha aha aha :banana:

Edited by notepad
Edit