Is it time to do away with 1p and 2p coins

Surely these are outdated now and not required in a modern society. If all prices were rounded up to the nearest 5p we could get rid of them. It would also do away with the annoying 99p price tag as in £1.99 because it makes it sound cheaper than £2.00 (does anyone believe they are getting a bargain by saving a whole 1p)

Surely these are outdated now and not required in a modern society. If all prices were rounded up to the nearest 5p we could get rid of them. It would also do away with the annoying 99p price tag as in £1.99 because it makes it sound cheaper than £2.00 (does anyone believe they are getting a bargain by saving a whole 1p)

People stil ldo.

I read that somewhere had a Poundland, and a 99p Store opened across the road. The Poundland shut down soon afterwards :D

that's strange, only this morning was I emptying my wallet of coppers and thought "why the hell do we still use these?" lol. You can't buy anything with them, in the end they just build up in your wallet or on the kitchen table, even more so after recently finding out the maximum amount you can use them to pay for is 40p. Would be interesting to know how many millions of pounds have been lost through people discarding/losing 1ps and 2ps though...

Noooooo :mad: i save them in a demi jar and last time i cashed them in, i got £61.I think the £1.99 is for TAX reasons, as in 20% for every £1.

I collect them and bank them occasionally but rarely use them. No-one would notice if we did away with them.

Australia got rid of their 1 and 2 cent coins but they still have 99 cent prices. The final bill in shops is simply rounded to the nearest 5 cents if paying cash.

Coins and notes are increasingly irrelevant anyway. I can't remember the last time I used cash.

I collect them and bank them occasionally but rarely use them. No-one would notice if we did away with them.

People buying anything that ended in an odd number would notice.

What's the problem? If people don't want em then they can slip them in the nearest charity box.

Edited by Chris_Sleeps

The half penny was abolished in 1983, if memory serves.

If inflation between then and now is 100% - an average of 3.9% year on year - then there is as good a case now for abolishing the one penny, as there was then for the ha'penny.

Why should everything be rounded up? Why not round prices down if you want to get rid of our coinage.

Thin end of the wedge. Don't give the Government or anyone else an excuse to put up prices. Get rid of pennies? Sure. 2p's? Why not, nobody uses them. 5 Pence pieces? Yeah, might as well, they are really small. 10p's? Well we might as well.....and so on and so forth.

As to people who can't find things to buy with 1 and 2p pieces, you just aren't looking hard enough.

Don't do away with the 1,2p's as trips to Skegness arcades would be on the expensive side other wise !