Can I carry gardening tools in public?

I recently bought a folding stanley knife. I think maybe I would have been better just buying a folding knife.

I remembered afterwards that I was once told off by a policeman for carrying secateurs in a bag.

What am I allowed to carry without it being classed as an offensive weapon?

I recently bought a folding stanley knife. I think maybe I would have been better just buying a folding knife.

I remembered afterwards that I was once told off by a policeman for carrying secateurs in a bag.

If you need them for work purposes or genuine garden duties, then you should not have a problem.

The law says you cannot carry any bladed or sharply pointed objects in public without good reason. The only exception is a folding pocket knife with a blade less than three inches long that does not lock.

I would suggest that going to or from the allotment from your house is a good reason however.

The law says you cannot carry any bladed or sharply pointed objects in public without good reason. The only exception is a folding pocket knife with a blade less than three inches long that does not lock.

I would suggest that going to or from the allotment from your house is a good reason however.

I walk the dog quite a lot, and I am reminded that I was once warned about the secateurs that were in my bag, but visible.

I think we are getting less freedom, and you never know when you might meet a police person that lacks common sense.

I often carry secateurs in my side pocket, and I was thinking about a folding knife too.

I used to carry an Irish Brushing Hook back from the allotment. Big curved blade on the end of a 3 ft. pole. Mugging, anyone?

I carry a leatherman. Almost permanently.

Have done for about 35 yrs.

It's a tool. That happens to include a blade.

I have never been stopped and questioned why. Don't ever expect to be either. Law abiding middle aged men don't get asked those questions

Until you do when some policeman is having a bad day. I only carry mine when I'm in work gear.

Anything as long as you're wearing a smock and chewing a straw

Law abiding middle aged men don't get asked those questions

Maybe the police dont like bald men ;) that is me.

I carry a leatherman. Almost permanently.

Have done for about 35 yrs.

It's a tool. That happens to include a blade.

I have never been stopped and questioned why. Don't ever expect to be either. Law abiding middle aged men don't get asked those questions

If you do get caught and charged be aware the minimum sentence for that is six months inside. No fine, no community service - custody.

So you dont have the balls to admit you got it wrong.

Figures.

Adds sockpuppet to his ignore list.

i do hope you noticed he was stopped for suspected drink driving. so nope. not randomly stopped.

keep trying.

Had he been drink driving? I've been pulled for that once - sober as a judge. It may well have been a case of mistaken identity (God knows how I wasn't even in a pub!) but I was stopped by not one but two cop cars and a dog van. They were all very friendly but patted me down and made do a breath test. "Green light, no problems sir, safe journey home." I hadn't been speeding and had no lights out. Now if they'd found a leatherman with a locking blade that night may well have ended quite differently.