Imperial units are stupid

Are imperial units stupid?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Are imperial units stupid?

• Yes, let's be rid of them
    • Yes, but I like them anyway because I'm strange

Imperial units are stupid. Ask somebody how many yards in a mile (1760 wtf?). How many pounds or stones in a ton. Oh is that a short ton (2000 lb) or a long ton (2240 lb) by the way. Mad as a box of ferrets.

If the remainers had promised full metrification I might well have voted for them.

The French do units far better than the Romans did. It's a no-brainer.

What on earth are we waiting for?

A staunch Brexiter wanting to do away with imperial units? Whatever next! :hihi:

They're not stupid. They're quaint.

PS: I'd miss the mental arithmetic/exercise when I convert my computer-displayed mpg to litres per 100km :D

A staunch Brexiter wanting to do away with imperial units? Whatever next! :hihi:

They're not stupid. They're quaint.

PS: I'd miss the mental arithmetic/exercise when I convert my computer-displayed mpg to litres per 100km :D

Stage 2 of my plan would be to use cubic decimetres instead of litres and square hectometres instead of hectares. Just tidying up around the edges of the French standard.

After that I shall be decimalising time based around the day.

I've only JUST got my head round some of them, but in general... yes get rid! :)

I had to laugh out loud the other day when a lass asked me how many KG to a stone because she couldn't work out whether she had lost a stone or not. I asked her how much weight she did lose, she said 5kg, I replied: 5 is better than 1!

I've only JUST got my head round some of them, but in general... yes get rid! :)

I had to laugh out loud the other day when a lass asked me how many KG to a stone because she couldn't work out whether she had lost a stone or not. I asked her how much weight she did lose, she said 5kg, I replied: 5 is better than 1!

Best thing is to measure waist size in barleycorns.

Imperial units are stupid. Ask somebody how many yards in a mile (1760 wtf?). How many pounds or stones in a ton. Oh is that a short ton (2000 lb) or a long ton (2240 lb) by the way. Mad as a box of ferrets.

If the remainers had promised full metrification I might well have voted for them.

For once we agree on something.

Ditch the imperial I say.

As a rule of thumb, always used 7kg to a stone.

(Google says it's 6.35 and, to my great shame, in 20-odd years I honestly never looked this up until now).

I've always found the relevance of 'stone', in the great and enduring debate about the correct pronunciation of 'scone' [which is 'scone' as in 'stone', not 'scon'...be said!], much more interesting :D

As a rule of thumb, always used 7kg to a stone.

(Google says it's 6.35 and, to my great shame, in 20-odd years I honestly never looked this up until now).

I've always found the relevance of 'stone', in the great and enduring debate about the correct pronunciation of 'scone' [which is 'scone' as in 'stone', not 'scon'...be said!], much more interesting :D

About 2.2 libra to a kg, and 14 lb to a stone (14? :loopy:) so 14/2.2. Sounds right. The approximation to 7 probably arises from first approximating a lb to half a kg.

I eschew such inaccurate measurements of mass such as the pound and kilogram in favour of avogadro's constant/moles.

This is particularly useful when accuracy is of prime importance such as when making cakes or getting the right amount of sugar in the girlfriend's cuppa (she's fussy like that).

For rough measurement of mass I have a silicon sphere that reputedly is pretty close to 1kg or, quite coincidentally, 2lb 3.273965oz (and fairly round too).

I eschew such inaccurate measurements of mass such as the pound and kilogram in favour of avogadro's constant/moles.

This is particularly useful when accuracy is of prime importance such as when making cakes or getting the right amount of sugar in the girlfriend's cuppa (she's fussy like that).

For rough measurement of mass I have a silicon sphere that reputedly is pretty close to 1kg or, quite coincidentally, 2lb 3.273965oz (and fairly round too).

Unfortunately Avogadro's constant is defined as the number of atoms in 12g of Carbon 12. Therefore it is defined by reference to the kg and known only to within a certain uncertainty: 6.022140857(74)×10^23, the (74) referring to the uncertainty in the last 2 decimal places shown.

The BBC doesn't use imperial or metric, they have their own measurements.

We have a months rain in a day,no we don't otherwise it wouldn't rain again that month, areas are measured in football pitches and height in double decker buses etc.

I prefer to say "waist size is 34ins" or "he is 6ft 1ins tall, or my room is 12ft x 14ft rather than the metric equivalent.