Using a mobile whilst driving?

i have seen 5 in less than hour today, and they are all ways laughing and smiling as if they are doing nothing wrong if the police parked at the bottom of normanton hill at 8am they would catch loads but the worst rd is parkway into town 9am young women 20 to 30yrs old even when you stare at them they dont get off them more plain police cars on the parkway please

I'm not sure where the danger ACTUALLY is with using a mobile phone whilst driving.

We are allowed to use a hands free system ...so it's not the act of holding a conversation with someone who's not in the car?

We are allowed to drive with one arm..if you were disabled

We are allowed to start a naked flame and then hold onto something that's actually on fire

We are allowed to remove one hand from our steering wheels to change gear /change music /radio etc

So the act of holding the phone to our ears suddenly makes us a massive danger?

I do see many using phones to text /reading /taking photo's which I think is inexcusable whilst driving

What do others think?

I'm not sure where the danger ACTUALLY is with using a mobile phone whilst driving.

We are allowed to use a hands free system ...so it's not the act of holding a conversation with someone who's not in the car?

We are allowed to drive with one arm..if you were disabled

We are allowed to start a naked flame and then hold onto something that's actually on fire

We are allowed to remove one hand from our steering wheels to change gear /change music /radio etc

So the act of holding the phone to our ears suddenly makes us a massive danger?

I do see many using phones to text /reading /taking photo's which I think is inexcusable whilst driving

What do others think?

There has been a lot of research into how much talking (or texting) on a mobile whilst driving impacts on the ability to drive safely, and the results (indicating it is indeed a large factor) is why the legislation was bought in.

The biggest 'in car' cause of road fatalities is now mobile phone use. Of the 88 deaths caused by distractions in 2012, 17 where caused by mobile phones (the largest single cause). (Figures are from the Department for Transport)

Since 2012, it would appear numbers have increased further. In 2013 - 26 people were killed due to distraction caused by mobile phone, and 24 people in 2014.

That is why penalties have increased.

Robin

Do the figures break down any further

Were the operators texting?

What's the difference in distraction between hands free and holding phone?

I fail to see that driving in a safe place( steady motorway trunk dual carriageway) there can be much difference in holding the phone to your ear rather than hands free

I completely agree that holding whilst driving in busy traffic city centres should be disallowed along with all texting /reading texts/social media on mobiles

Have you ever been behind someone on a mobile phone whilst on the motorway? I have and it was obvious from the moment I caught up with him doing 55-60 mph in the 3rd lane, weaving in to the 2nd lane and back again, speeding up to close the massive gap then dropping back again. But hey! He wasn't a massive danger.

It was only when an arctic Lorry drew alongside him in the second lane and sounded his very,very loud horn continuously that the driver got the message and got off his phone.

Robin

Do the figures break down any further

Were the operators texting?

What's the difference in distraction between hands free and holding phone?

I fail to see that driving in a safe place( steady motorway trunk dual carriageway) there can be much difference in holding the phone to your ear rather than hands free

I completely agree that holding whilst driving in busy traffic city centres should be disallowed along with all texting /reading texts/social media on mobiles

They're not broken down any further no, so it not possible to differentiate between texting and being on the phone. I suspect there has been some research into this but I haven't read it.

Saw a good one on Saturday. Two kids on a scooter, no helmets, one on the back on a phone.

On the A1.

Saw a good one on Saturday. Two kids on a scooter, no helmets, one on the back on a phone.

On the A1.

Did the scooter have L plates?

Was in the pub on Saturday, This woman, who i would say drank well over the alcohol drink and drive limit! got into her car whilst talking on her mobile then as she was leaving the car park she was still chatting away on her mobile.. the car park itself is very tricky to get out of and you can't see any traffic coming from the left, you have to pull out very slowly into the road to get a view.. She just sped off!!! Stupid woman...

Using a mobile phone whilst driving should be strongly discouraged, but trouble is, some of these campaigners are NEVER satisfied, its only a matter of time before car stereos are banned and also front seat passengers, just like no stereo's or standing/sitting next to the drivers of coaches/buses are allowed as they're a potential distraction to the driver.

---------- Post added 28-09-2016 at 17:37 ----------

Did the scooter have L plates?

Never understood the point of those.

On the A1.

I daresay there will be no insurance, mot,tax, or driving licence.

Plus no l plates and no helmets, probably a £100 fine total!