Vehicle excise duty bands from next year

Just been reading a report that says there is to be a huge change in vehicle excise bands next year .apart from zero emission emitting vehicles any vehicle registered after April next year will in its second year pay a flat rate of £140 for excise duty ,will this effect you for better or worse ? .any new car registered after April next year with a value of over 40000 with attract a charge of £310 on top of excise duty for the first 5 years

Just been reading a report that says there is to be a huge change in vehicle excise bands next year .apart from zero emission emitting vehicles any vehicle registered after April next year will in its second year pay a flat rate of £140 for excise duty ,will this effect you for better or worse ? .any new car registered after April next year with a value of over 40000 with attract a charge of £310 on top of excise duty for the first 5 years

If they can afford to pay £40,000 for a car another £310 won't hurt them.Personally I think 500 quid is enough to pay for a car.

Screw the motorists again, if at the moment your VED is £30 per year (110 - 130 Co2) and you have it 5 years it would be £150. After next year the same car will cost you £720 over 5 years.

Edited by iansheff

Screw the motorists again, if at the moment your VED is £30 per year (110 - 130 Co2) and you have it 5 years it would be £150. After next year the same car will cost you £720 over 5 years.

As I've read it the changes only apply to vehicles registered after April next year but I could be wrong

They do, I am saying buying the same car after this comes in with same emissions will cost you £570 more over 5years than it does now.

They do, I am saying buying the same car after this comes in with same emissions will cost you £570 more over 5years than it does now.

It was the same when they split up the banding around 2001.

For example, Peugeot 307 1.4 petrol:

Registered before 2001 - £145 a year

Registered after 2001 - £185 a year

It was the same when they split up the banding around 2001.

For example, Peugeot 307 1.4 petrol:

Registered before 2001 - £145 a year

Registered after 2001 - £185 a year

But a lot more expensive next April than it was then. It only went up £40, next year will be £114 a year more.

They are trying to get the money back they have lost by doing away with the tax disc,of course, even more motorists will not bother taxing their cars.