Police action on motorists endangering cyclists

Pedestrians should have identification, insurance and pavement and road tax.

Obviously, it's the only way we can solve this scourge.

You really live in your own little world cyclone :loopy::loopy::loopy:

---------- Post added 28-09-2016 at 10:46 ----------

Bloke who ran out in front of me in the cycle lane outside the Hallamshire did £150 quids worth damage to my bike (front wheel rebuild and forks). Said sorry mate as I was still picking myself up of the tarmac then and ran off leaving me to foot the bill.

No your fault you should be on the look out outside a hospital . And £150 worth of damage and you didnt even collide properly if he ran of as you hardly touched him. :suspect::suspect: And get yourself some insurance if you got an expensive bike

Edited by spider1

And get yourself some insurance if you got an expensive bike

Normally cycle insurance is for 3rd party damage and theft.

Wooosh.

The sound of the point passing waaaay over spider1's head.

---------- Post added 28-09-2016 at 18:22 ----------

No your fault you should be on the look out outside a hospital . And £150 worth of damage and you didnt even collide properly if he ran of as you hardly touched him. :suspect::suspect: And get yourself some insurance if you got an expensive bike

So pedestrians running into the path of cyclists = cyclists fault.

Of course, I'm sure that makes perfect sense in your head.

Another Police force starts a similar action. North Wales Police Force introduce operation snap.

http://www.north-wales.police.uk/advice-and-support/safer-roads/operation-snap.aspx

Support for Vulnerable Road Users

North Wales Police also recognises that vulnerable road users are now using cameras. Cyclists, both pedal and motor, are vulnerable on our roads.

We see some awful very close passes and people pulling in and out of junctions, putting cyclists in danger. The publicly available figures speak for themselves – cyclists come off worse when they are in collision with a car. Often the car driver has taken an unnecessary risk, or didn’t see them.

We will not tolerate this and wish to support all road users, especially the most vulnerable, in having a safe journey. This includes taking positive action in respect of looking at your footage and witness testimony. We will work with you to seek prosecution when appropriate, so we can alter the behaviour of those who take unnecessary risks and put you in danger.

But we can only do a good job if your evidence can prove an offence in a court of law. We will need a witness statement from you that supports the video/photographic evidence you’ve got. You must be prepared to attend court if necessary. Don't worry - we will support you through this process.

Another Police force starts a similar action. North Wales Police Force introduce operation snap.

Good, that's very positive.

It's apparent on this thread just how bizarre the attitudes of a minority of motorists are towards cyclists.

An effective way to educate offending motorists would be to confiscate their vehicles and lend them a bicycle instead. They get their motor back once they've put enough miles on the bike.

This is very positive news. Most of my cycling friends now have micro cams on their bikes--I certainly do. Im surprised at the amount of hard nosed attitudes voiced on the forum. I presume that in the case of an accident any attitudes displayed on a forum might be used to support a prosecutions case of an "anti-bike" mentality.

On friday I was cut up once by a white astra type van and then (me having cruised past the normal traffic jam) 15 mins later passed me and did the same this time leaving me less than 3 inches to his car and result I was in the kerb and off. This was clearly malicious driving....and not as unusual as many drivers might believe. Annoyingly the camera perspective was out of kilter at this time but Id warn my fellow cyclists to give a wide berth of any van with reg beginning MF03 ***.....

So having insurance is now also a licence to kill? You really need to grow up. I do hope for the safety of cyclist on the road at the same time as you,that you are joking.I expect that sort of comment on YouTube,not from people that possibly are one of my neighbors.

In an accident on the road that is invariably true, however, an accident on the footpath will usually end up with the poor pedestrian coming off very badly. In those cases how does the pedestrian get compensation? There are very good reasons for requiring cyclists to get insurance as well as the creation of some scheme to allow the easy and rapid identification of a cyclist when an incident occurs

Awaits the usual suspects shouting this down

If ( big if) the cyclist stop you can sue him or her and they would wish they had insurance

---------- Post added 20-10-2016 at 00:02 ----------

This is very positive news. Most of my cycling friends now have micro cams on their bikes--I certainly do. Im surprised at the amount of hard nosed attitudes voiced on the forum. I presume that in the case of an accident any attitudes displayed on a forum might be used to support a prosecutions case of an "anti-bike" mentality.

On friday I was cut up once by a white astra type van and then (me having cruised past the normal traffic jam) 15 mins later passed me and did the same this time leaving me less than 3 inches to his car and result I was in the kerb and off. This was clearly malicious driving....and not as unusual as many drivers might believe. Annoyingly the camera perspective was out of kilter at this time but Id warn my fellow cyclists to give a wide berth of any van with reg beginning MF03 ***.....

A few weeks ago i was driving in London in a HGV artic, i stop at some lights left lane against the curb, light changed about to go a woman was skipping on her bike, one foot on the curb moving up my inside , there was not enough room for her to ride up my inside, if i had moved off she would have been under my back wheels. I got out and started videoing her. if i had moved of guess who would have been at fault.

---------- Post added 20-10-2016 at 00:16 ----------

That is interesting - makes me think about the Dutch law where in any incident between a motorised vehicle and a cyclist the motorist is always found guilty unless there are very strong extenuating circumstances in which case it will be dealt with in court.

for the most part in Holland as i remember the cyclist and motorist are for the most part separated, super cycle ways. unlike UK where the infrastructural is just not there.

"Wish they would have insurance" for a few hundred quids worth of scratch damage. I think you exaggerate.

So who gets to pay for the scratches then - assuming the cyclist stops and you can find out who they are...?

So who gets to pay for the scratches then - assuming the cyclist stops and you can find out who they are...?

The same person who pays for shopping trolley scratches,pushchair scratched and youths being idiots. The driver.

Really is it such a serious issue for cars being scratched by cycles in the grand scheme of things?

We had an accident some years ago where a cyclist went through a red light(yes he did) and hit our Ford Puma side on, over the wheels onto the bonnet and windscreen. The cyclist admitted responsibility and provided his name and address until the car insurers got in touch and then he denied all responsibility.

The damage at the time wrote off the car (it wasn't that bad just expensive parts at the time).

I don't tar all cyclists with the same brush,some car drivers pull the same trick.

If you can give them room and get passed them. I'd rather drive behind a cyclist with the opportunity to overtake than some snail car driver who holds me up for miles.

The car in front of me was following a young lad on a bike.

The driver was hanging back as there was no room for him to overtake when suddenly the cyclist veered across the road.

No signal,didn't look behind and must have given the driver a fright who managed to stop.

Blooming lucky lad.