HMRC online and phone - an endless circle of nonsense

Too right!

What an experience HMRC is. I recommend people just avoid it based on mine.

I always try and avoid the HMRC .

Remember when you could go along to Concept House at the bottom of The Moor and talk to someone? However "Delighting the Customer"tm 2007 and "Putting the Customer at the Heart of Everything We Do) tm 2014 meant that they all got shut.

There is no finer way of "channeling" "customers" than a closed door.

I remember sliding through those doors like Indiana Jones with a vat return clutched in me hand. I prefer the website. Actually, I'd much prefer a better website but the idea is sound - the execution, not so much.

There's an excellent but under-used tactic for senior staff in just about any firm (or part of HMG).

Try telephoning from an outside line- shielding one's number by 141- and ask to speak to [your own name]. See what excuse the switchboard person comes up with re why you're not there. Experience what it's like for outsiders trying to contact a Real Person. Then go back to work and fix your firm's problem!

It's odd that HMRCs website is so appalling as the DVLAs has come on leap and bounds in past couple of years. Can do pretty much everything online now in a matter of minutes. It's not hard really is it so come on HMRC, why on earth aren't you making it INSANELY easy for people to pay their taxes!

---------- Post added 16-09-2016 at 15:37 ----------

:hihi:

I tried cancelling part of my BT contract last month, and after clicking on seemingly hundreds of options to find any kind of cancellation option, see the same page when clicked! :hihi: They have also timed the message so it 'appears to try and find it' first before telling you the page is down :hihi:

Amazing though, if you click on 'I want more things', which is most of the site, the page is open before my finger has completed the second half of the mouse click procedure.

I don't think BT are that clever Ash :)

It's odd that HMRCs website is so appalling as the DVLAs has come on leap and bounds in past couple of years. Can do pretty much everything online now in a matter of minutes. It's not hard really is it so come on HMRC, why on earth aren't you making it INSANELY easy for people to pay their taxes!

You're right, DVLA had quite a few niggles at first, but now like you say seems easy to use.

Mind you, I've never recently had a complicating 'request', have you?

I don't think BT are that clever Ash :)

I think they are sgt (at least those in charge of tech).

They know that people won't act quickly if things are tricky (when it comes to them losing money) - however when they want more money, it's instant.

I think it's a little algorithm, that someone has built in. Most sites seem to use this now. I've seen it quite a lot in the last few years.

-

As an example to test it, if you, or anyone has a facebook account, post something on it now, see how long it takes to post (bonus if there's someone in the room who can verify how quick it's available from another account)...

Then delete it, and see how long that takes. I bet it's longer. It's the same principle, but in fb case, it's an info gathering site, so it's making it difficult for you to remove information from it.

I'm currently chasing some TAX that is owed to me. I sent them a letter back in April and whist they acknowledged receipt of it, I heard nothing back. Had to call them back last week and was on the phone for 20 mins, that call cost me £15!! Was promised someone would call me back in two working days, they still to this day haven't. I have just had to call them again and go through the same rigmarole to be told they sent me a letter on the 23rd, to which I still haven't received. All the chap could do was apologise but couldn't offer any further info. They are a complete joke.

HMRC and DWP etc. The situation is that however poor the system and whether it is on the phone or their website, the fact is that there is no consequence for them. There is only a consequence for the person trying to use the website or phone. It is total contempt towards the general public.

If they were selling something like the shares sell-offs of years ago of BT British Gas etc it would work lightening fast, and be simple and straight forward.

I'm currently chasing some TAX that is owed to me. I sent them a letter back in April and whist they acknowledged receipt of it, I heard nothing back. Had to call them back last week and was on the phone for 20 mins, that call cost me £15!! Was promised someone would call me back in two working days, they still to this day haven't. I have just had to call them again and go through the same rigmarole to be told they sent me a letter on the 23rd, to which I still haven't received. All the chap could do was apologise but couldn't offer any further info. They are a complete joke.

dreadful aint it!

Since posting, they've sent me a letter offering me over a grand, and I can claim it immediately. Can't get anything right. I imagine many people would cash that!

(to be fair it did cross my mind :hihi:)

More now for my own dates than anything...

Tried the online chat thing. Which was just another loop (Copied and pasted it though)

Ended up ringing up again 20 mins queueing and it telling me how easy it is to go online instead... Got through to a woman who could probably sense how annoyed I was, and talked me through how to sort this. Only on the phone for a few minutes, made me look stupid really.

She said you'll get an activation code through the post within 10days or so.

Got it today! :)

Easy now eh?

Followed the instructions on the paper... first question online. What's your password? (you mean the very thing that I don't know?!)

:rant::rant::rant::rant:

What a joke. I just don't know how else to pay now. What more can I possibly do?

Of HMG Departments and agencies, HM Land Registry used to be good- but it's much less so nowadays. Companies House is currently quite efficient, in my experience.

6 months hassle with HMRC, and decided to just pay someone to do it. Contacted Jeremiah at these guys. Great job done with absolutely no hassle whatsoever.

I should have done that in the first place.

HMRC is a bag of *****.

Edited by *_ash_*

It occurred to me today, having been given the wrong information by DWP and then found out about their total incompetence that put someone's health (and possibly life) at risk, that was only resolved by me giving them some money, that there are all these people suing the NHS for negligence, and yet the DWP somehow seem immune from such action. If they were sued every time they caused damage to someone's health they would have had to have had millions more pumped into them. Why does this not happen?