Should men be employed as carers of young children?

I respect your opinion, Robin and consider you to be a fair poster. You entered this discussion a few days ago in good faith, when I answered all questions directed towards me. I gave honest answers, but unfortunately many posts were deleted by a moderator, which I believe was a consequence of the crude language Santo used. I am not going to repeat comments I have already made and get into another war of words with the so called political correct brigade and Santo.

I continue to believe Mrs Leadsom made valid points, which answer the OP's original question and understand the point Red Fox made which seems to have rejuvenated a discussion which had been deserted as a consequence of moderator deletions. I am not criticising the moderation of this thread.

Well if you have made comments that have subsequently been deleted then fair enough - I have not followed this thread closely so I suspect I may have missed a large part of the discussion.

I personally don't agree with Mrs Leadsom's points but it does open up and interesting topic for discussion (which I am sure has happened here).

There has been some (although not a great deal) of research into whether or not paedophiles search out jobs that would put them in close contact with children. I believe there was found to be a slight correlation although the lack of general research in this area makes any solid conclusion risky. I do however agree that it would seem logical.

I certainly do not however agree that this means that males should not be employed in jobs that would put them in close contact with children. Indeed, there has been research that a lack of male role models in schools (particularly primary education) could be quite damaging to some children.

Well if you have made comments that have subsequently been deleted then fair enough - I have not followed this thread closely so I suspect I may have missed a large part of the discussion.

I personally don't agree with Mrs Leadsom's points but it does open up and interesting topic for discussion (which I am sure has happened here).

There has been some (although not a great deal) of research into whether or not paedophiles search out jobs that would put them in close contact with children. I believe there was found to be a slight correlation although the lack of general research in this area makes any solid conclusion risky. I do however agree that it would seem logical.

I certainly do not however agree that this means that males should not be employed in jobs that would put them in close contact with children. Indeed, there has been research that a lack of male role models in schools (particularly primary education) could be quite damaging to some children.

Robin, Gammy claims his posts were deleted because of two replies I made which were deemed inappropriate. That's true. But the posts related to Gammy's further belief that men should not look after elderly women either. Mister M can confirm.

Other users could also confirm most deleted posts related to men providing care for the elderly, not children, which is the topic of the thread.

Gammy had acknowledged a point I'd made about a large amount of sexual abuse occurring within families and reiterated he agreed with Leadsom.

That's about the long and short of it. Don't feel you missed out on Gammy's insight (which he says he won't repeat even though there is very little to repeat relevant to this thread) because you haven't.

If you want to PM me and ask what I said which got the posts removed feel free.

Edited by Santo

Yes, you are correct, Huntley should never have been allowed to work in a school. He was able to because he was never convicted of anything.

That doesn't alter the fact that he killed two girls that didn't attend the school he worked at. So no application could have gone in the bin just because he was a man and spared Holly and Jessica, agreed? Good.

All we can learn from the Soham case is to make background checks more rigorous. Not that men shouldn't be allowed to work in schools. That would be a stupid absurdist knee-jerk response. And thankfully only people like Loathsome and you believe it.

I made the reference to Maxine Carr originally. I was making the point that women can be just as harmful to children as men therefore excluding men from being carers of young child was ridiculous. Hope that clears that up.