Aldi VS Lidi which offers the best value?

I don't know which is "best value" overall between both (surely it depends on product selection, quality, distance travelled to shop, etc.) and, as with many on here, we split groceries shopping between Aldi for "stuff they do best" and 1 or 2 others for "other stuff Aldi doesn't do or do best" (Tesco/Asda/Sainsburys, varies which).

A lot of suppliers supply the exact same stuff to both Aldi and Lidl (and surely others too) under their respective own brands (all stuff in Aldi is sold under Aldi brands, I expect the same is true of Lidl who seem to follow the exact same business model).

Aldi's wine selection has always been exceptional, in terms of value for money.

Aldi still operates its supply chain as a 'proper' family business, it is very peculiar about maintaining strong goodwill and good relationships with its suppliers (that's not to say it doesn't negotiate hard on prices of course).

On the television adverts Aldi seem to be sending out a message that the customer can choose between a branded item and a not a branded item or choose by price. I wonder if the introduction of branded goods is the reason why their sales are increasing because it is getting more footfall into their stores.

The staff seem to work much harder in Aldi stores than the big name supermarkets and do a variety of tasks.

On the television adverts Aldi seem to be sending out a message that the customer can choose between a branded item and a not a branded item or choose by price. I wonder if the introduction of branded goods is the reason why their sales are increasing because it is getting more footfall into their stores.
Aldi adverts are tongue-in-cheek comparison advertisements between their own brand items available in their stores, and equivalent branded items available in 'main' retailers (Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's , etc.)

The adverts are supposed to drive customers to their stores instead of those of 'main' retailers (Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's , etc.), not influence in-store choice. You can't buy Cadbury chocolate in Aldi, only Moser Roth. Same with Fairy washing up liquid, Ariel washing powder, Typhoo tea, etc.

Aldi generally doesn't do branded items (if any at all).

Edited by L00b

Mine now has Yorkshire Tea and Warburtons farmhouse loaves on permanently. Plus a few mainstream beers.

Aldi adverts are tongue-in-cheek comparison advertisements between their own brand items available in their stores, and equivalent branded items available in 'main' retailers (Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's , etc.)

The adverts are supposed to drive customers to their stores instead of those of 'main' retailers (Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's , etc.), not influence in-store choice. You can't buy Cadbury chocolate in Aldi, only Moser Roth. Same with Fairy washing up liquid, Ariel washing powder, Typhoo tea, etc.

I will pay closer attention the next time I watch their advert. :cool:

I was led to believe one of the reasons in the past there were few branded products in Aldi was because those manufacturers didn't want their products placed in the cheaper stores, but have had to change as shopping habits have changed resulting in the success of shops like Pounland for example.

I mostly shop in Aldi for most of my big shop as Aldi offer more in veg and fruit been Vegan it covers most of what I need . But Lidi bakery selection has many delights that I can't say no too. Out of the two discount supermarkets would you say offers the best deal?

Are vegans allowed to eat bread and pastry? they contain eggs and dairy!

Love Aldi, i find they have everything i need and the quality is very good.. and the wine!! fantastic award winning wines at great prices..

Edited by Chelle-82

Are vegans allowed to eat bread and pastry? they contain eggs and dairy!

Love Aldi, i find they have everything i need and the quality is very good.. and the wine!! fantastic award winning wines at great prices..

Bread should not contain eggs to start with as for pastry I don't eat it anyway. Yes Aldi's wine alright and a lot cheaper than mainstream supermarkets.:)

Location matters more. You use the one thats closest.

Out of those two, then I think Aldi has a bigger range and you can get more of a full shop there. Lidl has better ad hoc offers.

I tend to use all the supermarkets as I get bored with different ones.

We use Aldi a lot. They don't sell beer or licquor and weights are in pounds and ounces. But I wonder how they compare wh UK prices. Milk $2.30 a gallon, Butter $2.60 a pound, Bacon $ 5.50 a pound and half. Bananas 35 cents a pound. Spuds $3.50 for 5 pounds. Large pizza with pepperoni and italian sausage $6.00. You have to get your cart out of the rack for the cost of a quarter which you get back after unpacking the cart and have to load the cart yourself. Excellent quality visited by rich and poor alike.

Just one thing I have noticed....

What the Hell is that peculiar smell which greets you at the entrance to every Lidl store?

It smells like a cross between a bonfire and a decaying corpse.

Not sure what it is, but it is quite off-putting.

I miss the Netto, had Aldi beat on good quality cheap wine and I am a sucker for Scandinavian delicacies (many of which are similar to Dutch food). I don't go to Lidl very often, but did manage to pop in a few weeks (or months, time flies) back and quite liked it, their fresh fruit and veg seemed a lot better than the Aldi.

I miss the Netto, had Aldi beat on good quality cheap wine and I am a sucker for Scandinavian delicacies (many of which are similar to Dutch food). I don't go to Lidl very often, but did manage to pop in a few weeks (or months, time flies) back and quite liked it, their fresh fruit and veg seemed a lot better than the Aldi.

Manage to take advantage of the closing down sale?