Old cat n Dog Arthritis- relief/help

Hi can anyone help

My cat n dog both very old now and have Arthritis - Any relief I could get for them ?? I don't think there in pain but just old age

Hi, Metacam or sometimes called Loxicom, are arthritis pain relief/anti inflammatry drugs, they are POMV medications, which means you have to get them prescribed by a vet, but then it is usually cheaper to get a prescription from the vet and buy on line, as more often than not, they will be life long, once started on it. Hope this helps. x

I also know lots of people who swear that magnetic collars make movement easier for their pets and a glucosamine complex (green lipped mussel, shark cartilage, etc) supplement is shown to be helpful if you can get it down them without stressing them out. Cod liver oil is also inexpensive and can have good results- and most cats and dogs are happy to take it on their food.

The available data on glucosamine shows that there is little to be gained from paying out for a supplement when the joints are functioning well and healthy- this is the time at which you can make a difference, once the joints are already compromised. Buy the best supplement you can afford, whether that's a bottle of cod liver oil to add to their food or Yumove tablets. I'm sure that there are brands which produce a powder (much easier for cats to mix in with their food) but I'm lucky enough to never have needed these so I can't recommend brands.

Hi thanks to you both , hate seeing my pets get old . I did hear about the Cod liver oil one , but wasent sure about it .

both booked into vets soon as I just want to makesure they not in pain or anything etc

I know theres not a great deal I can do but just want em to not suffer in anyway if you get me ,

the cat is worse as keeps falling off things - front legs seem to just go .

It isn't cod liver oil, it's fish or krill oil that you want (there is a difference) because they are high in omega 3 and low in omega 6 (but you need to include extra vitamin E to synthesise the omega 3. Also, green lipped mussels for glucosamine, chondroitin (from crustacean shells) and MSM from kale. Finally, large doses of vitamin C can help but avoid ascorbic acid. There are a number of products out there that contain some of these ingredients already. You can also make something called Golden Paste from turmeric (google it) which utilises the curcumin in it.

...as you can see, I've looked into this in a big way!

Turmeric has certainly massively helped me with arthritis in my elbows, and with arthritis in joints from toes to wrists and knees with friends and family.

http://www.emaxhealth.com/1020/what-turmeric-might-do-animal-health

Here's some info, although it doesn't specifically mention arthritis it's a general anti-inflammatory, with as yet poorly documented but suspected wide ranging benefits.

I know it's made a massive difference to me, taking me from daily nagging pain to hardly ever being aware of my arthritic elbows, on half the recommended dose. It also by the way has 'cured' me and a friend of Rosacea, a nasty, painful unpleasant little complaint for which the only other option is long course of antibiotics.

Edited by NewBiz

Cod Liver oil had a big effect on my parents last dog, had a spoonful daily in his dinner.

Took a week or so, but you could certainly notice the effect after a while.

Cod Liver oil had a big effect on my parents last dog, had a spoonful daily in his dinner.

Took a week or so, but you could certainly notice the effect after a while.

Thanks all , the dog has perked up a lot . the cat I have to take the vets I think as not looking good:( she is very old and has seemed to get worse as now falls a lot ,

shes around 17yrs so had a good run but sad to see cat this way

Very sad, but see what the vet says.

Sometimes it is kinder to 'call time' rather than suffer through and live in constant pain.

Very sad, but see what the vet says.

Sometimes it is kinder to 'call time' rather than suffer through and live in constant pain.

Afraid your right our cat had to be put to sleep today , was very sad but right thing to do , over the last week or so she got worse n worse . :(

Afraid your right our cat had to be put to sleep today , was very sad but right thing to do , over the last week or so she got worse n worse . :(

Yes you did the right thing for her, bless her. I had to have my dog put to sleep 4 years ago because of really bad arthritis, medication from vets wasn`t doing anything for him and I couldn`t cope with the thought he was in pain. Heart breaking it was but kinder for him. :cry: