Extra paid time off

David Camerons pre-election promise - a new law would be passed requiring public sector employers and companies with more than 250 employees to give staff up to three days a year to do voluntary work.

I guess it wont be brought in untill the end of this parliament because it will cost councils, the NHS and large companies millions.

It will cost Sheffield council around £15 million; a fair chunk of money for the tax payer to fund.

Do people want to do 3 days for a voluntary organisation?

Not particularly.

I have been invited to attend a "stakeholder event", not sure if that would qualify.

David Camerons pre-election promise - a new law would be passed requiring public sector employers and companies with more than 250 employees to give staff up to three days a year to do voluntary work.

I guess it wont be brought in untill the end of this parliament because it will cost councils, the NHS and large companies millions.

It will cost Sheffield council around £15 million; a fair chunk of money for the tax payer to fund.

I do, my employer already gives me a week off extra to run Scouts. Great fun.

Out of interest how do you work your £15 million out? Is the daily wages bill for SCC £5million? Or is my maths totally wrong?It's probably the latter :)

Edited by truman

Unless each department is classified as its own cost centre with its own budget and staff. Which could then reduce each department to sub 250 employees,discounting agency workers of course.

Similarly for the council - is Housing the same as Waste,to us its all the same Council, but it may not be so for the purpose of this prospective exercise.

In may last company each sales manager was an independent cost centre with overheads allocated and spending implications.

Out of interest how do you work your £15 million out? Is the daily wages bill for SCC £5million? Or is my maths totally wrong?It's probably the latter :)

Only a rough estimate, £8 an hour, 18,000 employees

requiring public sector employers and companies with more than 250 employees to give staff up to three days a year to do voluntary work

Employers and companies would be required to offer it, but employees are under no obligation to take it up.

The idea sounds like the sort of thing that will fizzle out due to lack of interest.

I would love this, I've wanted to donate some time to a localish dogs charity and also I would quite happily arrange a fishing match for a charity.

This idea works for me personally.

Organisations got to accommodate the min wage increase first. Wish theyd stop introducing silly little laws. Productivity is already lowest in G8.

---------- Post added 29-08-2015 at 07:53 ----------

I would love this, I've wanted to donate some time to a localish dogs charity and also I would quite happily arrange a fishing match for a charity.

In principle Giving time selflessly is good.

But why should anyone get paid for it?

If I decide to take time off I wouldnt get reimbursed, why should employees?

---------- Post added 29-08-2015 at 07:55 ----------

I do, my employer already gives me a week off extra to run Scouts. Great fun.

Venture scouts was awesome back in the day...do you get paid holiday for that?

And this is where it would all go tits up and abused. Bigsexydoug off fishing on full pay for 3 days.:hihi:

Not especially, but I thought it was to be optional anyway.