Net migration at record high 330k

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34071492

Net migration of EU citizens was 183,000, up 53,000 from the year ending March 2014.

The number of those arriving from countries outside the EU was still larger, with net migration measured at 196,000, up 39,000 on a year earlier.

Expansion of the EU and the relatively fast recovery of Britain's economy are seen as key factors in the trend.

Among the other ONS findings based on the latest figures were:

Fewer people are leaving the UK, with emigration numbers dropping by 9,000 year-on-year

Other than EU countries, the nation with the highest number of citizens migrating to the UK in the 12 months to June was China, with 89,593 arrivals

India is the most common non-UK country of birth in the UK population - 793,000 UK residents were born in India

Polish is the most common non-British nationality, with 853,000 residents (including those born in the UK) describing their nationality as Polish

53,000 Romanian and Bulgarian citizens moved to the UK in the last year - almost double the 28,000 in the previous 12 months

There were 25,771 asylum applications in the year to June 2015, an increase of 10% compared with the previous 12 months

A total of 11,600 people were granted asylum or an alternative form of protection. The peak was in 2002 when there were 84,000 applications

---------- Post added 27-08-2015 at 12:46 ----------

but asylum grants fall....

Hang on, that can't be right, the Tories said they'd get migration down much lower I'm sure of it....

Hang on, that can't be right, the Tories said they'd get migration down much lower I'm sure of it....

only 230k off target. Dont think we can do much about it.

They lied to pull UKIP voters back to the Tory party.

And I cant see a rush on to get flights to romania can you?

---------- Post added 27-08-2015 at 12:50 ----------

use your water cannon idea - i believe boris has some knocking around he cant get rid of :hihi:

Migration from OUTSIDE of the EU. No government has any control over the number of migrants from within the EU.

David Cameron immigration pledge 'failed spectacularly' as figures show net migration almost three times as high as Tories promised

A pretty dismal showing all round.

As I've said before, I don't mind a member of the elite Bullingdon Club being PM, as long as they're actually competent.

But with The Boy Cameron (record net migration) and George Osborne (record borrowing) failing so dismally, the nation's "elite" ain't what it used to be.

The Tory party lied to win an election?

They would never do that would they..? :o

It's brilliant news , apparently all these people make the country richer, which explains why I'm poorer than last year due to the wage being compressed. But luckily it cant go any lower than n.m.w .

How/why are more non-EU citizens coming into the country than EU citizens??

Surely we should have control of the numbers of non-EU citizens??

check out the other thread.....short answer is NO.

---------- Post added 27-08-2015 at 13:19 ----------

Lots of ideas...not many solutions.

---------- Post added 27-08-2015 at 13:22 ----------

do we want highly skilled and educuated workers from germany etc?

then we got to be in the EU.

do we need doctors etc from all over the world to prop up the NHS?

then we got to have a non-eu immigration policy.

---------- Post added 27-08-2015 at 13:22 ----------

its the car washers, pot washers etc we dont need....but how do you stop?

The UK does, and non-EU citizens getting into the UK on a visa are those who have successfully run the gauntlet of the UK's points-based system, which is designed to sort the wheat from the chaff (and does so quite effectively).

For non-EU immigrants, a more useful statistic would be the total number of applications and rejection ratio (I daresay most non-EU people who manage to get a visa, only get it at the 2nd or 3rd attempt).

I expect the Government will come out with these shortly by way of damage-controlling PR.

Edited by L00b