Relax Immigration says Inst' of Directors

Just been reading the BBC News website.

Apparently the Institute Of Directors wants the PM to relax on migrants entering the UK!!

Because it says lack of skilled workers is affecting companies here.

My argument is why should UK companies assume they have the right to choose cheap skilled foreign workers as opposed to training up our own younger generation. I'm pretty sick of this new wave of exploitation where companies are booming on the back of cheap labour many of which are zero hour contracts or agency workers.

Where I work in Sheffield, they now only recruit agency workers most of the recently skilled vacancies have gone to foreign workers who speak limited English, when I can confirm that the younger UK generation are desperately wanting to be trained up but the company would simply rather recruit foreign workers....and then drop them the minute a slack period develops.

This whole attitude stinks, it's breeding resentment and contempt throughout the shop floor workforce . But the bosses don't seem to care. Their attitude seems to be either put up or push off. Their greed is relentless I'm witnessing it first hand.

Thriving on cheap labour with no rights and zero prospects it's almost like we're returning to the victorian workforce attitude.

Dreadful!!

Edited by mrcharlie

Just been reading the BBC News website.

Apparently the Institute Of Directors wants the PM to relax on migrants entering the UK!!

Because it says lack of skilled workers is affecting companies here.

My argument is why should UK companies assume they have the right to choose cheap skilled foreign workers as opposed to training up our own younger generation. I'm pretty sick of this new wave of exploitation where companies are booming on the back of cheap labour many if which are zero hour contacts or agency workers.

Where I work in Sheffield, they now only recruit agency workers most of the recently skilled vacancies have gone to foreign workers when I can confirm that the younger UK generation are desperately wanting to be trained up but the company would simply rather recruit foreign workers....and then drop them the minute a slack period develops.

This whole attitude stinks, it's breeding resentment and contempt throughout the shop floor workforce . But the bosses don't seem to care. Their attitude seems to be either put up or push off. Their greed is relentless I'm witnessing it first hand.

Thriving on cheap labour with no rights and zero prospects it's almost like we're returning to the victorian workforce attitude.

Dreadful!!

Would like to argue against you, but cant !Because your right !

I know personally of some staff on £10 per shift !

It is short term thinking though, who do they think will buy their products when no one can afford them in a decades time ?

And make no mistake both Labour and the conservatives have gladly ignored the situation.

I agree too; but it is impossible to stop it.

We have free movement in the EU and free trade with many countries. This will merge the differences between all countries. Maybe this will be a good thing in 100 years, if we make it that far.

As long as we have really poor countries with REAL poverty, there will always be an issue; it is surprising that people want to come to a country that is filled with so much hatred towards each other.

I know personally of some staff on £10 per shift !

It is short term thinking though, who do they think will buy their products when no one can afford them in a decades time ?

And make no mistake both Labour and the conservatives have gladly ignored the situation.

Cynical me would say that's because they sub-let the houses most of these migrants live in.

It makes me howl when I read of corruption scandals in Africa and such - yet I wouldn't doubt for second that this country is far more corrupt. It just reeks of greed - wealth that never seems to add up as honestly gained.

No, I'm no longer patriotic in the slightest. When directors and politicians stopped listening to the general public I stopped listening to them.

Don't worry though, what goes around ALWAYS comes around.

I was brought up with "sow the seeds reap the rewards" mantra.

Greed.....it's relentless.

Edited by mrcharlie

If we don't supply them with a steady stream of cheap labour then they might start suffering some of the consequences of mass immigration themselves and that is obviously unacceptable.

Can you imagine if they had to go to the expense of training people and paying a decent wage? That might mean they could no longer afford to buy big houses far away from poor people with strange cultural practices. They might have to take their kids out of their private school and face the reality that the only state schools with capacity are crap. They might even have to give up their private health insurance and actually use the NHS... can you imagine having to wait in turn for treatment!?! It is a repulsive thought and it is therefore essential that the common folk accept that they must suffer more of this so they can suffer none of it. Let us collectively tip our hat to them, say 'gawd bless you gov'nr' and thank them for letting us serve them as god intended. It is the natural order of things.

I agree too; but it is impossible to stop it.

We have free movement in the EU and free trade with many countries. This will merge the differences between all countries. Maybe this will be a good thing in 100 years, if we make it that far.

As long as we have really poor countries with REAL poverty, there will always be an issue; it is surprising that people want to come to a country that is filled with so much hatred towards each other.

Disagree with you there, it isn't impossible to stop it at all !

It's is relatively easy, but there is zero will by those in charge to stop it that's the problem !

Disagree with you there, it isn't impossible to stop it at all !

When we have dont have enough doctors and nurses, or at least that is what is said, its impossible to implement.

When we have dont have enough doctors and nurses, or at least that is what is said, its impossible to implement.

I would reply but it would totally derail the thread. So will leave it for now.

We have free movement in the EU.
This argument keeps being over-simplified in such debates, hand-in-hand with the current other debate about non-EU immigrants flooding into the EU: the fundamental principle is free movement of EU nationals throughout the EU, not 'free movement without checking entitlement to travel at borders' à la Schengen (which is an implementation (-too far) of the principle, not the principle itself).

After Germany's unilateral suspension of the Dublin Agreement earlier this week, and as matters are only getting worse in Greece, Hungary and Macedonia, Schengen hasn't got long to live, mark my words.

When that particular edifice falls, Cameron will likely get his shoe in the door about measures impeding free movement itself (particularly, the freedoms of establishment and residence...hey, we still want tourists :D)

He's getting a lot of political manna across the EU on the back of Merkel's nonsensical handling of the non-EU immigration crisis, at the moment. So fortuitous a development and context, that it sometimes makes me wonder if he's not had a hand in engineering the current non-EU migration crisis with MI6, somehow...( /tinfoil hat).

Edited by L00b

You are talking about stopping it entirely, which is certainly not realistic or desirable. If migrants have skills we need and can make a positive financial and social contribution then we'd be stupid not to accept them. Most people simply want sensible, selective immigration instead of the mass immigration of the last two decades. It needs to result in a win for the migrant and those already here and needs to be done at a pace we can keep up with in terms of housing, school places and the burden on the NHS and other services.

It really isn't unreasonable or unrealistic.

That's quite possibly because migrants now take up so much of our NHS in the first instance.

Damn it, I know of friends who are struggling to find anywhere to live because they cannot earn enough. Yet we open up and let thousands flock in, give them money, someplace to live........what the hell!!

I'm not racist, but being a realist labels you as a racist.

It's verging on discriminating on those who are British!!

Ridiculous!!

Secure the borders & give skilled workers a work visa then.

Also, must look at why we have skills shortage...look at our education systems why more people are not getting those skills. Make STEM subjects at Uni fee free for example.