What's your view of petition sites?

Do you think petition sites are a real force in global politics?

I'm talking about the likes of Avaaz, 38Degrees and Change.org

Does the number of people who sign their petitions make them a game-changing force in political decision making?

They need to amalgamate into just one big website, then they might get more stuff through. If they get over 100,000 signatures isn't the issue supposed to be discussed in parliament?

I'd like to see some of these discussions on BBC Parliament, and which MPs actually turned up for them. I see no reason why they shouldn't be mentioned regularly (and the outcome,) on the BBC News.

Then it might be a game changer.

They need to amalgamate into just one big website, then they might get more stuff through. If they get over 100,000 signatures isn't the issue supposed to be discussed in parliament?

I'd like to see some of these discussions on BBC Parliament, and which MPs actually turned up for them. I see no reason why they shouldn't be mentioned regularly (and the outcome,) on the BBC News.

When Kim Kardarshain posts a new arse picture it might get hundreds of thousands of 'hit's and comments etc. Do you trust internet polls to reflect any kind of intelligence?

Do you think petition sites are a real force in global politics?

Maybe not global politics but Change.org can make a difference on a smaller, more local scale.

They're pointless. The ease of clicking on the internet minimises any actual thought required regarding the subject at hand.

There have been examples on here of links to petitions - some which sound reasonable, others which were badly thought out and ill conceived - in either case, there will be a load of posts saying 'signed'... You just know that practically minutes later, some will have forgotten all about whatever it was they've just added their voice to.

I agree they are pointless and have very little impact . It would be more effective , If everyone who signed a petition wrote a letter and posted it to the organisation they are petitioning .

If they get over 100,000 signatures isn't the issue supposed to be discussed in parliament?

The 100,000 ones is in relation to the ones people do on the government website

https://petition.parliament.uk

Turns out exactly ZERO petitions have been debated in parliament.....

The 38 Degrees ones are often quite interesting ideas, but I agree with others - e petitions are generally a waste of time. It seems to me that their main purpose is to make the person who signs it feel good about themselves for a few moments. They give the illusion that you have 'done something' in return for zero effort.

---------- Post added 11-08-2015 at 07:51 ----------

I agree they are pointless and have very little impact . It would be more effective , If everyone who signed a petition wrote a letter and posted it to the organisation they are petitioning .

It doesn't need to be a paper letter- an email to an MP, or to a Chairman's office is just as effective.

It's petitions on the UK Parliament website that can be debated in Parliament if they get over 100,000.

As to Avaaz, 38 Degrees and the rest, I do agree that they could talk to each and work with each other a bit more so we don't end up with 100 "save the polar bears" petitions

---------- Post added 11-08-2015 at 08:13 ----------

It doesn't need to be a paper letter- an email to an MP, or to a Chairman's office is just as effective.

You can use 38 Degrees website to send letters to your MP about certain topics. I myself have done this a few times. Usually on the subject of recall elections. It's a very useful tool. Even if you happen to have a local MP who is a bit of a tool.

Edited by Stoatwobbler

When Kim Kardarshain posts a new arse picture it might get hundreds of thousands of 'hit's and comments etc. Do you trust internet polls to reflect any kind of intelligence?

You could say the same about voting then.

The 100,000 ones is in relation to the ones people do on the government website

https://petition.parliament.uk

Turns out exactly ZERO petitions have been debated in parliament.....

The 38 Degrees ones are often quite interesting ideas, but I agree with others - e petitions are generally a waste of time. It seems to me that their main purpose is to make the person who signs it feel good about themselves for a few moments. They give the illusion that you have 'done something' in return for zero effort.

---------- Post added 11-08-2015 at 07:51 ----------

Yes that's true , however I think 100, 000 letters for the Chairman's secretary to open could be just a little more effective .

[/b]

You could say the same about voting then.

You could, yeah, if you think that way, then ok :)

That's a petition on the gov website, not an external petition.