Extra paid time off

Can't see that there be too much uptake on this to cost much. But it is still a added cost

My employer allows time off for magistrate duties, school governor stuff and reservist duties. It also allows every employee to do three days volunteering every year but they have to prove the activity will benefit the business somehow. So doing the garden for Mrs Brady next door won't count, neither will volunteering at the donkey sanctuary.

David Camerons pre-election promise - a new law would be passed requiring public sector employers and companies with more than 250 employees to give staff up to three days a year to do voluntary work.

It will cost Sheffield council around £15 million.

Out of interest how do you work your £15 million out?

Only a rough estimate, £8 an hour, 18,000 employees

I still don't see where you get £15 million from.

The average day is 7 hours. 3 of those is 21 hours. At £8 an hour is £168. 18,000 of those is just over £3 million. £15 million would be 3 weeks, wouldn't it, unless you can explain otherwise?

Even £3 million is assuming that every member of staff does the service, which they won't.

I still don't see where you get £15 million from.

Not sure where I where wrong, I get similar to you using those figures, but £8 per hour is way too low an estimate.

---------- Post added 29-08-2015 at 21:06 ----------

I do voluntary work already, but I am not sure that I would like my employer(the local council) to pay for it.

My work place has had a days leave for charity work in-place for a few years, long before the government announcement. Do charity's welcome people who offer a few days a year contribution considering the effort / checks they have to perform on volunteers in certain roles?