Lamp post installation

Can someone tell me how the lamp posts on main roads and motorways are installed with such precision?

Perfect curves and dead straight lines.

They use a spirit level.

Er, just like a spirit level.

It clamps round the post and has 4 levels set out like the points on a compass. Or you can get a simple post level that is hand held against the post.

wouldn't the positions have been worked out by an engineer? I would think they would use gps positioning to site the posts but could be wrong.

wouldn't the positions have been worked out by an engineer? I would think they would use gps positioning to site the posts but could be wrong.

If the op was talking about spacing then yes but not by GPS just a measuring wheel. I may have read it wrong and thought it was about how straight they are positioned.. :)

Yes the question concerned the placing of the posts in a straight line over long distances and round curves.

If I want fence posts in a straight line I use a length of string strung between the 1st and last posts

I was wondering, what is the modern day equivalent of the string?

Yes the question concerned the placing of the posts in a straight line over long distances and round curves.

If I want fence posts in a straight line I use a length of string strung between the 1st and last posts

I was wondering, what is the modern day equivalent of the string?

Laser guide. However, if you see the state of a lot of the new streetlights you're probably overestimating the effort that goes into it. They tend to just plonk them next to the old ones. I've even seen some installed centrally on a pavement - blind people won't stand a chance.

Can someone tell me how the lamp posts on main roads and motorways are installed with such precision?

Perfect curves and dead straight lines.

Paddy eyes em in.

---------- Post added 30-08-2015 at 22:38 ----------

Laser guide. However, if you see the state of a lot of the new streetlights you're probably overestimating the effort that goes into it. They tend to just plonk them next to the old ones. I've even seen some installed centrally on a pavement - blind people won't stand a chance.

Maybe it's all that laser stuff they use.:huh:

I think you mean, 'they tend to just plonk one next to every third lampost', creating lots of unlit areas on a street.