M1 Central reservations

I heard talk recently that the reason for replacing the newly constructed M1 concrete crash barrier was because of the wet concrete being contaminated by banana skins. I know this sounds quite ludicrous and you may think I am on the falling down water! But what I was told was that the workers on the M1 threw the banana skins in the concrete mix following their meal breaks and when the set concrete was x rayed it was found that the banana skins had a chemical reaction on the concrete and caused it to crumble/flake.:confused:

The Concrete blocks aren't set at the roadside, they're made at another location and brought in.

There was talk of the blocks all failing quality control, thats why miles and miles of they were ripped out and replaced.

The Concrete blocks aren't set at the roadside, they're made at another location and brought in.

There was talk of the blocks all failing quality control, thats why miles and miles of they were ripped out and replaced.

the concrete barriers are cast insitu and replaced because of faulty concrete read more here http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2015/06/15/concrete-barrier-blunder-on-costain-m1-site/

I thought I'd seen them being lorried in, guess not?

Which is incorrect. The blocks are 'slip formed' on site' by a machine. In simple terms the concrete is pumped into a pre defined shape.

I thought I'd seen them being lorried in, guess not?

You probably saw the "old" one being lorried out after they'd cut it up...

Cast on site in sections. I wonder who is picking up the table for the reworks

Cast on site in sections. I wonder who is picking up the table for the reworks

Presume you mean picking up the tab? If the concrete doesn't meet the specification required it is usually the contractors problem.