Did you live on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s?

in reply to former e-mails which i have come across ,there is afew relating to the ellis family who lived at 133 windyhouse lane,i remember the day that harold came home from the far east, a sight that has stayed with me for all of my life . i am glad to hear that he had a long and happy life for if anone did harold have a daughter called i beleive pat?if so i was the one who helped pull her out of thewash-tub after she had fell in head firstalong with her grandmother who was baby-sitting at the time .

i also remember edwin hobson who was killed outside standhouse school he was one of the gang that we played with.

icannot recall a mavis living near the fish pond but i recallect a walter and pat o;brienliving across qeen mary rd facing.

I was the one who remembered the day that the Telegram boy called at your ' Grandmothers ' with the news that Harold was alive but a Prisoner of War in the Far East (Japanese).

I can remember the whole street joying in the good news. It was like a Street Party with out any food!!

I can also remember that sometime afterwards when Harold arrived home he took off his shirt to have a wash and I could see the marks where he had been either lashed or whipped.

I was with Edwin Hobson when he was killed by a street grate lorry, Though I must have been very young I can remember a man throwing his coat over him.

I hope sincerely that I do not ever see that ever again.

RAYZOR1 - write down all the names and address numbers of all those that you can remember living on or around the bottom of Windy House Lane. It would be usefull.

i was born on the manor in 1972.. lived at archdale rd till 1982.. went to standhouse.. my parents lived on the manor on while growing up on morthall rd (bothe) they were Hearson and leek/crawshaw and my grandparents (bothe sets) lived on the manor...

I have just read all the posts about "who lived on the Manor Estate in the 30 - 50's" and my mum (Joan) has asked me if anyone can remember the Daniels family, lived at 122 Fitzhubert Road. Harold & Elizabeth and their children Horace, Ivy, Joan & Betty.

I have just read all the posts about "who lived on the Manor Estate in the 30 - 50's" and my mum (Joan) has asked me if anyone can remember the Daniels family, lived at 122 Fitzhubert Road. Harold & Elizabeth and their children Horace, Ivy, Joan & Betty.

I lived on Queen Mary road and I think I was on the buses with Joan, but I don't remember any other member of the family.

I was on the buses from 1951 - 1963.

My memory is playing tricks with me, I do remember joan because I went to school with her. Their house was very near the Manor Hotel. the other Joan I was thinking of was Joam Meakin who also lived on Fitzhubert. My name then was Mavis Petch and we went to Stand House School.

Were many on the forum born on or lived on the Manor Estate in the 1930s - 50s.

If so, What are your childhood memories, Have you a inclination to find others who you went to school or played with? If you moved from the estate, where did you go to?

Did you attend Stand House Junior School, Pipworth Road, Prince of Wales or St Theresa.

Can you recall the raft on both pit ponds at the Manor Top?

Going to Ford via the Old Arrow?

The tossing Ring on the nunnery Pit tip?

Why has the manor estate now got a bad reputation when the people who live there now have got or own riches which as youngsters use to dream off. For me that was mainly acquiring a good meal!!

Do you remember this ryme that we use to chant about the Prince of Wales School Head:-

Old Pop Sephton, Was A Good Man,

He went to church on Sunday's.

He prayed to god,

To give him strength.

To cane ALL the kids

On Monday's!!

In years to come, Someone will write about the Manor Estate and be very pleased that you have left your contribution.

My dad was born in 1923 on the manor estate he lived on prince of walse road not sure of the number his mam and dad were called wilf and alice lister he had a sister called mary who died in 1926ish he lived there until just after the war when he met my mum they married in 1946 and went to live in grimesthorpe sheffield then they got there first house in 1954 at firth park both lived there until they both passed away my dad 1994 my mum 2007

my dad and his brothers and sisters used 2 live on the manor estate not quite sure where though, there surname is carter anybody know them? :)

I worked with Walt and Pat also their sister Emma at a cutlery frim called Donnellys on Portobello St, Walt did live just down Gleadless Rd not far from me I think his widow Sally still lives there.

Do you remember The Baldocks, and the Charlesworths ? both familys lived on Baseldine, I also had a relative that lived on the corner of Fitzhubert and Baseldine, they were called the Slacks, I also had relatives on Woodthorpe Close called the Halls.

My sister Helen is married to Derek Hall formerly of Woodthorpe Close. They are now at Hyde Park. One of your relaives I presume?

Yes, we lived at 118 Fitzhubert from about 1958 until the houses were knocked down. My mother and family that is, I came to Australia in 69. Betty Cutts (nee Daniels is now living in Townsville - Australia. Am still in touch with her.

john gate hello john christine here i used to work with betty cutts at the manor post office before i met your robert.i knew she had previously emigrated to australia and returned back to england that is when she worked with me.i often wondered whwt had happened to her i have seen her eldest son on friends reunited but have never contacted her through it when you next here from her give her my regards

Hi my name is Betty Cutts (Daniels) I live in Australia my mum Elizabeth died in 1945 from childbirth, my Dad Harold died 1979. my brother Horace and sister Joan are both still alive sadly my eldest sister Ivy passed away a couple of years ago.

Where did your mum live?. I can still remember everyone that lived on our side of the road.

Regards Betty.